Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1991 6 cylinder 430A(AQ) Volvo Penta engine with a

Customer Question

I have a 1991 6 cylinder 430A(AQ) Volvo Penta engine with a DP-A Duoprop out drive and I'm trying to buy a spare set of props. Since it is out of production I can't find anything that tells me which prop to buy, nor can I find out the WOT RMP range or my propeller size. Can you help me?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 12 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you looked at the numbers on the props you have now?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The only numbers on the props I can see are 164 without taking then off. I don't have that tool yet
Expert:  Tan replied 12 months ago.

The only way to find the props you need will be to inspect the props you have. The only other option is to call the boat manufacturer and see if they have a record of the props that came with the boat. Due to the age and companies this is going to be likely to happen. They just don't keep records like this around.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Exactly. That's my problem. I've emailed Volvo And am waiting for an answer. I was just hoping you might be able to expedite it for me
Expert:  Tan replied 12 months ago.

Volvo has nothing to do with propping of the boats. You have to call the boat manufacturer.

To expedite this any quicker just isn't going to happen as I explained they don't keep records like this on boats for this long a period.

Plus I have no idea what the make and model is of your boat. The numbers on the prop are going to be your best bet.

You are asking a question we get ask allot and there is no easy way to say it but you aren't going to get help from the boat manufacturer or the engine manufacturer.

They don't archive this kind of info as every boat is different. The companies that archive boat info don't even have prop info.

So we at the point where you have to look for numbers on your props.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
since I don't have the prop tool I guess I'm stuck for now
Expert:  Tan replied 12 months ago.

At the moment yes. I have been doing this for over 40 years and this is one of the hardest questions to answer as every boat is different and is propped by the dealer. They come with props but that doesn't mean that is the correct prop for your boat.