Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I am asking you what is wrong with my boat. THE TACH READS

Customer Question

I am asking you what is wrong with my boat.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: THE TACH READS DOUBLE (AT 1000RPM THE TACH READS 2000 RPM AT 3000 RPM THE TACH READS 6000 RPM.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: WHEN THE TACH IS READING WRONG THE ENGINE DOES NOT HAVE THE POWER TO GO ON PLANE.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What engine do you have, and has any work been done to the boat recently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI CHARLES: THE 2005 TROPHY WITH A 5.0L MPI MERCRUSER HAS A PROBLEM. WHEN THE TACH IS WORKING RIGHT THE BOAT WILL MAKE PLANE AT 3200 TO 3500 RPM. WHEN THE TACH DOUBLES THE RPM (3000 RPM TO 6000 RPM) THE BOAT MAKES MAX WAKE AND WILL NOT MAKE PLANE AT ALL NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU TRY. THE ENGINE MAY BE MISSING THEN. WHAT IS WRONG? GEORGE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE OUTDRIVE HAS BEEN OFF AND A NEW BEARING INSTALLED BY THE OLD OWNER AND 90 HRS BEFORE A HOUR METER WAS INSTALLED NEAR THE DISTRIBITER. THE OLD OWNER HAD TROUBLE ALINEING THE OUTDRIVE AND ENGINE. I JUST RETURNED FROM A FISHING TRIP WITH THIS BOAT WITH THIS TACH PROBLEM (41 HOURS MORE ON THE HOUR METER). GEORGE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE MERCUISER MODEL# MCM5.0LMPI THE FAMILY # 4M9X05.0GME DOM 2004
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Check the ECU on the engine for any loose or broken wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI CHARLES: I CHECKED BOTH CONNECTORS FOR LOOSE OR BROKEN WIRES AND PUSHED BACK PINNS. I HAVE THE "SEL0C" MERCCRUISER BOOK FOR 2001-13 REPAIR MANUAL.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Did you discover any wires that needed attention?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI CHARLES: NO I DID NOT FIND A PROBLEM WITH THE WIRES OR PINS. I ALSO CHECKED THE DISTRIBITER CAP AND ROTOR AND THEY LOOK NEW. GEORGE
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Double check the wiring under the dash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI CHARLES: I CHECKED UNDER THE DASH FOR THE TACH AND ALL WIRE WERE TIGHT AND NOT BROKEN. I DID FIND A BAD CONECTION ON ONE OF TWO WIRES THAT CONECT TO THE HOUR METER. THE HOUR METER CONECTS TO A WIRE THAT COMES OUT OF THE COIL AND TO BLACK WIRE ON THE TRASOM. I MOVED THE BLACK WIRE AND THE SPADE CONECTION CAME LOOSE. I RECONNECTED THE SPADE CONNECTION AND WILL PULL THE BOAT OUT OF THE SHOP IN THE AM, CONNECT THE WATER AND START THE ENGINE AND SEE HOW THE TACH READS. GEORGE
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Great. Im looking forward to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI CHARLES: WELL I RAN THE TROPHY FOR ABOUT 20 MINS. WITH NO TACH PROBLEMS. THE IDOL WAS ABOUT 600 RPM, TROLE SPEED 1000 RPM AND RAN IT UP TO ABOUT 1500 RPM AND THAT WAS WHAT THE TACH READ. THANKS GEORGE
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

that is a positive. Would it do this before?