Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Engine just drop to about 2300 rpm NS90a water is flowing

Customer Question

Engine just drop to about 2300 rpm NS90a water is flowing from water weep hole fine? To me it appears to be excessive smoke when started in Water or on flush kit
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Was running fine on lake at around 4200 ? Just went to 2400 and I could not hear any buzzers or alarms had plenty of water at weep hole so drove it back to dock about thirty min. Away hope I did not harm engine but ran fin just low rpm's
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

With the engine slowing down like this, there had to be a code that slowed it. Make sure that the running voltage on the engine is not over 14V DC at 2500 RPM. Use an IR thermometer to take the temp of the engine after it is warm. Make sure that it is below 160* F, higher than this would be an indication of it overheating and the cooing system would need serviced. Also test the float switch in the oil tank. When the magnet on it falls, it should close the circuit. If it is always close, replace the sensor.