Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I want to know if you know prob before pay 1997 sport jet

Customer Question

I want to know if you know prob before pay 1997 sport jet 120 replaced stator put on wrong (backyard) try to start and big backfire got mec to help said was right now does seem to run good but falls on face when given more throttle seems like slipping somewhere new imp and wear ring
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Don. My name is Tan.

Do you have spark on all cylinders? Have you done a compression test?

We can't give you a answer till we do some checks to determine what the problem is. There is allot of things that can cause your symptoms. So we have to go through the process of elimination. I'm pretty sure I know what is wrong but we have to verify a few things first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will try
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok keep me posted.

I think your engine revving issue is the bottom plate of the jet. If the gasket is pulled out, if the plate is warped or if any of the screws are out of the plate it will cause exhaust gases to interrupt the flow of water causing the impeller to slip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to take it fishing this weekend goes slow enough haha talk next week thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you get a chance look at the plate on the bottom of the boat see if the rubber seal is pulled loose from the bottom of the boat, plate is warped or screws are missing.

I will be here all next week. Thank you...Tan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank-you have a good weekend
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome Don.....You do the same..........Thank you........Tan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Tan I did not get to check plate boat was on trailer I hope to check soon thank-you
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok Don keep me posted Thanks.