Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1999 ZXI 1100. all of the sudden it doesn't want to

Customer Question

I have a 1999 ZXI 1100. all of the sudden it doesn't want to start and when it does, it runs great for a short burst then start to choke and stall. I've replaced the fuel pump, rebuilt the carbs with Kawasaki rebuild kit, replaced spark plugs and wires. Any thoughts as what to look for next?
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

My suggestion is to do a few basic diagnostic tests to determine if we have a fuel problem, an electrical issue or a mechanical one. The easiest thing to do is use an automotive style inductive timing light to see if you are losing spark as the engine dies. If the timing light continues to flash as the engine is stalling, then you have an ignition problem. If the light continues to flash even as the engine is stalling, you either have a fuel or mechanical problem.

If the spark seems to be fine, since you already did some work on the fuel system, I would check the compression next.

Check those things out and let me know what you got and we can go from there.

Thanks

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand. You say "if the timing light continues to flash as the engine is stalling, you have an ignition problem"
But you also say "If the light continues to flash even as the engine is stalling, you either have a fuel or mechanical problem."
Which one is it? also, would low compression in one cylinder result in this stalling? I though it would have to be all cylinders.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Humble apologies. One key word was omitted. If the light continues to flash, you do NOT have an ignition problem but it would be either a fuel or mechanical. Since the timing light is dependent on the spark to occur to cause the light to flash, it is used to indicate whether the ignition system is functioning or not. If the light suddenly quits flashing and the engine dies, we have an ignition problem. I apologize for the confusion and omission.

Customer/p>