Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I am looking at a boat w/115 hp. mercury mtr. said to be a

Customer Question

Hi, I am looking at a boat w/115 hp. mercury mtr. said to be a 1997 and is on a 1997 starcraft. 2 stroke, oil inj. , has round fill hole in top of cowl. I would like your opinion on such mtr. relative to reliability and reputation, inherent problems and what I might look for or listen for on water testing. a friend had a merc, engine on his larger boat and had several problems re: power heads. your professional opinion please.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Those engines are what as known as a 2+2, have you ever heard that term before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, I spelled out my request as submitted, am not in need of a friendly conversation nor does it matter if I know what a 2-2 is. Can you professionally answer my question, complete
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

They are good engines and they do not have any known problems. Mercury made them for close to 30 years with no real design changes. As far as what to look for, the biggest thing is to make sure it makes full power under a load. With the boat at full speed, the engine rpms should be roughly 4750 to 5250.

That being said, they do not like to run at medium speeds because of the 2+2 design, and can feel a little "choppy" if run at medium speeds. They also do not like to troll for extended periods of time either. But other than that, they still are considered good engines.

Do you have any further questions on the issue?

-Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, kindly select a rating for my service.

Thanks again,

Jason