Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Looking at a quick overview to illustrate the difference

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, looking at a...
Hi Pearl, looking at a quick overview to illustrate the difference between the Mercruiser 5.7L 350 Magnum/ Bravo 1 Drive and the Mercruiser 5.0MPI/Alpha 1 Drive
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: No problem to fix, looking for a comparison between two engines and gearboxes
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/13/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I don't quite understand your questions. What are you trying to find out?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi its Johan here, Want to understand the difference in performance, efficiency, etc between the two engines. look at buying a boat and have the option of the two engines available

Hi Johan

What sized boat are you looking at, and how many people will you have in it at one time on average? Also, how are you going to use the boat, is it just for cruising or do you plan on doing watersports/towing with it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a 6.6m boat, will carry 10+ people and use it for towing as well as cruising

With a boat like that you would want the 350 mag. That being said with 10 people in the boat that might be a little much for even the 350. Does the boat builder offer a 6.2?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Without question you would want the 350 mag. The difference comes down to how much torque these engines make. The 5.0 MPI engine makes roughly 100 ft/lbs of torque less than the 350 mag. With any boat, it's torque, and not horsepower, that pushes the boat up and out of the water. If you were only going to put 2 or 3 people in the boat, and never do any watersports, you could get away with the 5.0 MPI and probably be happy. But with that many people in the boat, and especially if you are going to tow, you simply would not be happy with the 5.0 MPI, it would be to small of an engine for what you are looking to do with it. The boat would always feel slow, and struggle to get up on plane with the 5.0 engine.

Does that make sense to you? If yes, do you have any further questions on the issue?

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic