Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

E225FPXSSC fuel injectors not firing. ..fuel pump been

Customer Question
E225FPXSSC fuel injectors not...
E225FPXSSC fuel injectors not firing. ..fuel pump been replaced and tps sensor replaced but can't seem to get diagnostic cable connection to emm to calibrate the sensor
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 day by:
7/13/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

The only time that the scanner would not see the engine is if the EMM is not powering up. Make sure that the key switch is functioning correctly, and the main relay on the engine is closing providing power to the EMM, If they are both good, you will need to send the EMM off for repair.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's already been repaired and sent back a second time and cdi could not find anything else wrong with it. They able to run their test motor off of it fine they saI'd and they able to connect to it via software. ...I ordered a new diagnostic cable kit for evinrude and will be here on the 22nd. I also fixed a couple bad grounds on the engine wire harness. The only code the emm was throwing was bad tp sensor which I replaced....just haven't calibrated it yet because I can't get connected via software to calibrate it. Hopefully the fixed grounds and new diagnostic cable will allow me to do this next week

Bad grounds on the engine will and can many things to not function as they should. Hopefully your new cable will do the trick.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe the emm ground is the black wire at pin 22 on the lower emm plug on starboard side....wondering if I tap that wire and run a jumper wire from it to a good....verified ground on engine block if that would be ok or would it cause problems?

Tapping into the harness could cause you an issue if there is not a clean, water tight connection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm suspecting that I still got a bad ground on the emm then...and I believe it is at the diagnostic connection. ..that wire was not connected to anything but is now....however I think there may be another bad ground preventing a full 12v to emm
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess what I'm saying. ...from reading svc manual. ...is that the emm may not be getting proper 12v or there's another ground for the emm that is broken or not proper connection. ...if that's the case and/or it is powered but not a true 12v....would that prevent emm from signaling the injectors to fire?

Inspect the harness really well to make sure that there is no other broken or corroded ground wires.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do...hate to spend $1200 on new harness but if I got to I will....then may as well replace oil pump and lift pump so I can say it's all brand new...lol

i would recommend a compression test on the engine as well. Before spending that kind of money on it. Make sure that the block still has some life in it. These early Ficht engines had a history of failing to them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Compression test done before I ever bought it....I can't remember the exact on each cylinder but all were 87psi except 1 cylinder was 86I wouldn't have bought it otherwise

That is actually sort of low. But it could have been the gauge as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I may be off on the numbers .. it been over a year ago....I'll get a gauge and retest it but I do remember they were all right at engine spec and only 1 cylinder was 1 point shy of matching the other 5
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just can't recall what the spec is for this motor or which cylinder was 1off

I shoot for a minimum of 90 PSI.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic