Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 2003 Yamaha LX210 - starts runs but when you open

Customer Question
the throttles the RPM comes...
I have a 2003 Yamaha LX210 - starts runs but when you open the throttles the RPM comes up but boat does not go , seems like the exhaust is restricted , it ran great when I put it up for winter then 1st run out this year wont go
thoughts
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
7/11/2016
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 1 year ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician

Hi and thank you for your question.

I want to make sure I understand the symptoms your boat is producing. In my mind, it sounds like the engines are running fine, but there is no thrust being produced. It also sounds like this is the first time the boat was back on the water this season. If that is correct, please confirm it for me. If it is not correct, please let me know what is correct.

The exhaust systems are not tied together in any fashion. Each engine has its own individual exhaust. The only system that is shared is the fuel system (tank). Once you get past that, each engine is its own entity.

I am curious how the engines sound when you run them on the flush kit. Do they rev up normally? You say it sounds like a restricted exhaust, is the exhaust more quiet than it has been in the past?

You said you inspected the "exhaust of propulsion". Would you be so kind as to tell me point by point what you did on that inspection and how you did it? Giving due respect to your 24 years of automotive experience, I don't want to re-hash something you have already done. The more specific detail you can provide, the better.

Thanks

Customer/p>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1st time in the water, I had run them several times on the flush kit , they start right up and rev up to 7k but flutter a little at high RPM, it does seem like the propulsion system - I had the boat trailer up on ramps removed the clean out plugs and have looked to the impellers both sides all looks clear and the impellers do not look damaged at all. I will tell you that I ran RV winterize anti freeze last fall when I put it away. Hopefully that did not damage any part of the exhaust.
I have not had a chance to put back in the water since I changed Fuel filters and plugs but the sound of the engines at High Rpm sounds the same as prior to tune up. I also filled tanks with 93 octane and stabilizer prior to the 1st run and also topped the oil tank with Yama Lube -The engines seem to be fine- the 1 tach sticks and is not very reliable. I could put a external tach on it to see what the exact rpm I can get. is there a rev limiter built into tht ignition modules that limit to 7k rpm?
it would be great to talk on phone- like I said my experience was in Auto business but I was a fuel and emission specialist - kind of got me stumped been out of auto industry for 10 yrs.'(###) ###-####

Thank you for the additional information.

I am not familiar with RV anti freeze so I cannot comment on how that might affect the internals of the exhaust or engine. My general response to the exhaust being restricted is highly unlikely. As we discussed earlier, both exhaust systems are totally independent of each other, so that would mean that both developed the exact same problem at the exact same time. Strictly from a probability standpoint it is just not probable. Beyond that, in thinking about the design, construction and operation of the exhaust system, it is all large diameter passages after it leaves the exhaust manifold (3"+ throughout). The point I am making is imagine what it would take to restrict that flow. Certainly corrosion would not cause a problem inside of 1 year.

In reviewing our discussion so far, I do not recall seeing a hard number on how many RPM's the engines will turn. Are they achieving peak RPM's, or RPM's consistent with what they turned last year when it was operating normally?

Again, with all due respect, did you check to make sure the clam shells the jet pumps use to create neutral and reverse are moving properly? If for some reason they are not clearing the jet thrust when the shifter is in F, it will create problems.

If there is no debris such as weeds or rope on the prop shafts, which should have been visible, if not obvious with a tactile inspection, the next problem that would produce a lack of thrust symptom would be sucking air into the pump through leaks in the joints that make up the pump assembly. I have never known your boat model to have a problem like that, but have seen it on other Yamaha jet pumps. If there is no physical restriction or damage to the pump/impeller assemblies, we may very well end up having to pull both jet pumps and re-seal them to address this.

Let me know where you are at on this,

Thanks,

RRSBOB

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Going to drop in water tonight will let you know

Roger that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Finally got it to water last night , and it ran just fine - must have been cavitating air somehow I did reset the clean outs
thanks for your input

Super. I would guess maybe it did have something to do with the clean out plugs, since everything else looked good. Glad you got it going! IF you have any more questions or need any more help, feel free to ask. My goal is your complete satisfaction.

Customer/p>
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic