Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 145 evinrude that had trouble starting but when it

Customer Question

Hi
I have a 145 evinrude that had trouble starting but when it did It only liked to run in full power mode. Not idol at all or low it would shut off and not turn over again. So we had the carburetors rebuilt and now it sounds like it's missing and at times won't start again. Can you please give any advice or help ? Thank you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine model number please?

Have you done a spark and compression test yet. If not that is where we need to start. The compression must be 80+ psi with no more than 10% difference between cylinders. The spark must jump a 7/16" gap on a spark gap tester.

Post back with questions and findings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
E140TLC0
I'm not a mechanic at all
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

How can I help you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know what it might be. Can I send you a video of it running ? I appreciate any help
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

It can be any number of things. Low or no compression, loss of spark on one or more cylinders, fuel starvation due to fuel pump failure or boat side fuel system being contaminated and restricting fuel flow to the motor.

The procedure I outlined is the way we start to find the cause of the engine issue.

Even with the video we still have to do some testing to find the issue. Probably the easiest way to find a misfire is with the use of a timing light. Connect the timing light to each spark plug wire and watch the flash of the timing light.

The other test you can perform require no mechanical abilities. This will eliminate the fuel system. With engine running push in on the key switch choking the engine does engine run better or worse? The other test is to squeeze the primer bulb. Does engine run better or worse or no change?

These 2 tests will eliminate the fuel system.

Can you do any of these tests?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to send it the files too big it says
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok trying them now
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Here you can upload video to Youtube and send me the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlxqk0iHp5w

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll do it now
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's uploading.
It's called :
Kevin evinrude engine missing
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Send me the link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's almost fully uploaded. 1 minute more. Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://youtu.be/TlJi6cJ6kCk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When pushing in on the key switch it was choking the engine.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

When you take the boat out and run it what does it do? Do the choke test and the primer bulb test.

It looks like you have an ignition miss. The timing light will be the best tool to use for this issue.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

It is possibly a ignition coil. Check all the grounds on the ignition coils. The ground is under one of the bolts on each coil. The bolts get loose and they will cause erratic ignition misfire. What you can do is buy one ignition coil and swap it with each coil till you get a smooth running engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was in the bottom of the pan and looks like this is the place it fits in ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the coil pack ?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Put that screw back in where you have your finger in the pic you sent. That is idle timing screw. Run the screw in about half way. Start the engine. Let idle then turn screw in or out till the engine is idling at about 650 in gear. This will get you close. See how it runs now?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is the ignition coil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it helped run a little better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't even know where to get an ignition coil or how to install it ? Do you know if there is a video out there for my motor ?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok we are down to a possible ignition misfire. Will the boat run if you put it under a load? Another words can you go run the boat and take a video of it running under a load.

Do the choke test and the primer bulb test.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

To change that coil remove the 2 screws. Disconnect the orange wire just twist and pull do the same with spark plug wire. The coil is real easy to replace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

In this pic remove the 2 bolts in the red circle and twist and pull the 2 red arrows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. I didn't get the gift of mechanics unfortunately so again I appreciate the detailed information and help you have been giving me. Do you know where I can get the coils for my type of engine ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hit that button by mistake
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

I can get you the part number. Some auto parts stores might have the coil.

Here is a link to the coil. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0582508

There is a list of aftermarket coils under the pic of the coil.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Post back if you need further assistance.

Thank you.........Tan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sure will. Is there a way to directly request you? Or connect with you ?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can request me or ask for me in your question.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. To rate just click on the stars at the top of the page.