Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 91 evinrude 100hp outboard won't start and the battery

Customer Question

My 91 evinrude 100hp outboard won't start and the battery cables are getting really hot
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The engine cranks but won't start there is also gas leaking from the right lower carb. The battery terminals get really hot while cranking. I also had to replace the inline fuse on the motor so I definitely have an electrical issue somewhere
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that i can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

We need to start with a spark test. This must be done using a spark gap tester. The spark must jump a 7/16" gap on the spark tester.

The leaking carburetor is a bad inlet needle in the cab that needs to be replaced. Debris gets in the inlet needle and cause the carb to flood dumping fuel out the carb. The carb will have to be removed, disassembled cleaned and a carb kit installed. You might get lucky and just clean the inlet needle. But I always just replace the inlet needle as you have to install the carb to see if the debris was just the problem or the inlet needle.