Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I just bought a pontoon with this Suzuki 55 hp ( 05501p ) (

Customer Question
pu55t) i believe it set...
I just bought a pontoon with this Suzuki 55 hp ( 05501p ) ( pu55t) i believe it set for 2 years . i drained and cleaned the tank blowout the fuel lines cleaned out the fuel filter and drained the bowels on the carburetors.. it runs starts right up idles great .. the problem i have is no throttle response.. you can give it a little throttle and that is it, just above idle .. if you give it any kind of throttle it will die , starts right back up .. and it is oil injected.. fresh gas with seafome
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
almost forgot it is a jet drive
Answered in 2 days by:
7/9/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

With the engine sitting that amount of time, the carbs are going to be varnished up. You will need to remove them, take them apart and then clean them using a good quality carb cleaner. Reassemble with new gaskets/Orings, needles. Then after that, the engine should run correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry just did the carbs while I was waiting for your answer and I have the same problem

What is the compression on the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will check tomorrow the motor runs real good give it any kind of throttle It dies but starts right up

Without knowing it, it is hard to continue. I also need to know the year of the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
93
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the engine is a 1993 all cylinders comperson is 120 psi
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
From my research the engine is the same as a dt55. The difference is the jet drive

Thanks, ***** ***** you clean the carbs? Were they removed from the engine, taken totally apart and then all passages and jets cleaned using a quality carb cleaner?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's how I did it

Sounds like either the TPS is bad or needs to be adjusted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's the proper adjustment on the tps

I cannot locate that spec anywhere. But i did see a test where they placed a jumper wire between the pins in the harness to see if the engine would then start and run. It will also bring up the idle a bit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you send me a pic of the sensor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's the throttle valve sensor

yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think you can adjust that one

Should be slotted. Have you bypassed it yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just try unpluging it And running it

After you unplug it, connect the two wires that are on the engine harness side together.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will try that. Had it in the tank earyler. Will have to putbit back in the tank and try that I will let you know what happens

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok out it in the lake and before I messed with the tps I wanted to try to run it becuse of the carb cleaning.So it ran better did not die when I gave it throttle . But the engine ran like a dog . No top end. Any suggitions

Check the timing, both when it is at idle and when you accelerate it. Make sure that it is advancing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Never timed a outboard. Is it like a car I have a timing light

Yes, top cylinder. There should be timing marks on the flywheel and a pointer as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I have to unplug anything

No, your going to need it running. With the TPS installed and plugged in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just asking becuse on a car or truck you have to unplug the timing conector. Will let you know after I time it

Great

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic