Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Got any idea what the length of a yamaha 20HP outboard is

Customer Question
from the the mounting bracket...
Got any idea what the length of a yamaha 20HP outboard is from the the mounting bracket to aft end of the housing. Yamaha Website shows an overall length of 22" for the housing. Need same info for a Honda as well. Got no problem paying. want to make sure you understand what I am asking. The motor will go in a retractable well in a sailboat. The space is critical
The distance from the engine mounting bracket to aft end of engine is critical.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/3/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Pete, my name is Jason.

What is the model number on the engine in question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will look them up and get back to you shortly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Honda is a BF20 The Yamaha is F20. There are different models, but this measurement will be the same and all of them
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
http://yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/Portable/specifications This link shows the overall length of the engine housing to be 22". But does not have a dimension from the engine mount aft

Engines come in different lengths, how long do you need it to be?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am replacing an 02 15hp honda that fits in the well. But can't determine if the size has changed over the years. 15hp and 20hp motors are all the same size
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will be a short shaft.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have 18.5" to work with. I measured a suziki, and it measures about 19.25"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need the distance from the intersection of L6-L7 to the back of the engine housing

Don't have it. I will opt out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks, ***** ***** searched everywhere I just need to find a motor that I can physically measure Or call them direct on Tuesday
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is tan.

Do you have the full model number of the engine you are looking at?

All we have to do is add L6 to L7 and get the total but we need the complete engine model number to get the measurement you are looking for.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is a F20 yamaha or a bf20 honda. I need the distance from intersection of L6-L7 to the aft end of the motor housing.
http://yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/Portable/specifications This link shows the overall length of the housing to be 22". I need the distance from motor mount (L6-L7) to back of engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did considerable searching before coming to this site. best I can tell the only way to get the dimension is to be able to physically measure a motor. Or someone at the factory. I have an '02 Honda BF15 that I am replacing and fits fine. If the newer motors are the same size all is good. Cant chance spending $4,000 for a new motor and have it be a 1/2" to be big.

Ok they make a 20 inch shaft and a 15 inch shaft. These engines are 4.5 inches differnt in length.

Do you need the dimension with engine tilted up or down? L6 would be the dimension with engine in the up position from transom to the end of the skeg. L7 will be the diomension over the transom which shouldn't matter as it is in front of the transom.

From what I am getting here you need the dimension of the boat plus the engine. You know the boat length and need engine dimension extending from the transom aft correct? Engine up or down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IMG_0948.JPGAttached is a picture of what I need. It will be a short shaft. but the shaft length etc. doesn't affect the size of the engine housing etc.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Users/peterhunter/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2016/07/03/20160703-171641/3OQZyDhlRM2ETVEyzMRwcg/thumb_IMG_0948_1024.jpg

So you need the measurement with engine down which is 22" from the front of motor cover to the rear of the engine.

In this diagram you need this measurement in red. The black is the transom of the boat. The green dimension is 22". To get the red measurement you will have to physically measure your self.

Neither of the links you sent work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is correct. I need the red #

Sorry I have looked everywhere for that dimension they don't give it anywhere.

Will 22" inches work as that makes the engine a a little longer than it actually will be.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I have 18.5" to work with. The link I sent you was picture of my '02 BF15, showing the measurement I needed.
Thanks.

Then the Yamaha is to big as the measurement in red is not going to be 18.5 or less. The dimension between the red and the green is only going to be maybe 2.5 inches.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats what I was afraid of. Maybe the Honda will work.

Sorry it's better to find out now.

Have a happy 4th.

Thank you.....Tan

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.

Thank you....Tan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh yea, I don't want a $4k engine that won't fit

Thanks Pete have a good day..........Tan

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician