Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Wont start, 120lbs of compression, plugs are firing fresh

Customer Question
wont start JA: Sometimes things that...
wont start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 120lbs of compression, plugs are firing fresh gas, it just keeps turning over and over wont start, then after a couple of minutes it will start up then run for about 5 seconds and die.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
7/3/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What are we working on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is mark, 1970 Johnson 3 cylinder 60 hp
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you dont have any suggestions? we wont it running today
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

Has the engine been sitting unused for an extended period of time?

If you squeeze the primer bulb does it get firm or continue to pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it ran really good two weeks ago and went to go again last week and just shut down
and wouldnt start back running. the bulb gets firm

You say the plugs are firing how are you checking the spark? We need to check spark by using a spark gap tester. The spark has to jump a 7/16" gap for the engine to run.

Here is the type tester you need to check spark. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-50850-Ignition-Spark-Tester/17013427?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=202&adid=22222222227017173188&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52343542935&wl4=pla-79440154575&wl5=9030110&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=108076758&wl11=online&wl12=17013427&wl13=&veh=sem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
grounding them on the block, and yes they are jumping that much

I don't know how you can hold the spark plug against the block and make it jump 7/16 of an inch. It will only jump the gap of the plug.

If you can't do the spark gap test with a tester I can't help.

You have to do these test the way I tell you or I can't help. There are reasons for special tools to find problems. Short cuts don't work.

The spark has to jump a 7/16 gap and less of a gap will not fire under compression.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay we have to go to town and get a tester and ck it. can you give about 30 mins

Sure take as much time as you need. I will be here all day.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
great thank you

Your welcome. Could I get the engine model number please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay, got a tester and the spark is not jumping 7/16 of an inch. the firing starts at about 3/8ths and it quits past it.

Ok we need to test the voltage at the purple or red wire when cranking the engine. We must have 9.5+ volts. At the amplifier.

Do your spark plug wires come from under the flywheel or from individual coils?

I really need the engine model number to know which ignition system you have.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the plug wires come from under the flywheel there is one coil. MODEL #60ESL70D SERIAL #J3312962
trying to find my volt tester

Ok I had the right system. Just wanted to be sure. We need to verify that we are getting the correct voltage to the amplifier when cranking. This is the red or purple wire that is coming from the key switch. It could be either color. The wire can be accessed at the terminal strip where the amplifier wires connect. Amplifier. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/images/hg/omc/0580849.jpg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
found it checking now

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we are getting 10.2 volts

That is at cranking speed correct? If yes then you have one of 2 things that are bad. The amplifier or the ignition coil. To test the ignition amplifier it requires a DVA adapter for your meter or a Peak reading volt meter. We have to test the voltage on the blue wire when cranking we must have 200 peak volts. If we have 200 then we know the ignition coil is the problem. So you have to get a DVA adapter or an ignition coil.

Here is a link to the ignition coil. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=CDI183-3737

Here is a link to the DVA adapter. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Electronic-Specialties-640-Dva-Adapter/49585900?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=202&adid=22222222227037147169&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=58815551978&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=91621424018&veh=sem

If it turns out the amp is bad the amp comes with an ignition coil. So I would opt for the DVA adapter to test the amp.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have a FLUKE ET73DMMA volt meter by MAC says on by do not exceed 4800 volts-amps

Will it read peak volts?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i do not thank so but i do have another coil on hand

Try the other coil. See we know everything is working as you do have spark but it is weak. So the only 2 things that make the spark strong or weak are the amplifier and the coil. Long as you have at least 9.5 volts when cranking you should have good spark. Be sure all you grounds and connections on the amplifier and the coil are clean and tight. A corroded ground can cause spark issues.

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician