Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My mercruiser 3.0 L will not crank. Batteries are charged,

Customer Question

My mercruiser 3.0 L will not crank. Batteries are charged, slave solenoid and key switch just replaced. If I jump the slave solenoid, the engine will crank.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I suspect a bad wire somewhere or neutral safety switch.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Thats all I know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

We need to check the voltage at the key switch yellow/red terminal with key in crank position. Do you have voltage?

If yes then you have a bad neutral safety switch. Locate the 2 wires coming out of the remote control yellow/red and test for voltage on both wires. You should have voltage on both with key in crank position. If voltage on both then we have a bad wire or bad connection between the neutral safety switch and the slave solenoid. If voltage on one wire then the neutral safety switch is bad.

Do these checks and post back with findings.

Thank you...Tan