Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

1989 Sea Ray, 4.3. Alpha 1 Having intermittent issue with

Customer Question

1989 Sea Ray, 4.3. Alpha 1
Having intermittent issue with starting.
When I turn the key, nothing happens...but voltage gauge does dip.
Playing with the throttle/gear shift in and out of neutral a few times seems to trigger something and then it starts as expected and usually rinse fine several try's there after.
I know there is a neutral safety switch in the remote lever and the shift interrupt at the motor. Doesn't die going in or out of gear, and the symptom exists in or out of the water?
Where would you start first?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Your problem should lie inside the control box. When you are moving the shift arm, you are getting the neutral switch to engage. you are going to need to gain access to the inside of the control box and inspect the alignment of the switch to the shift arm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's what I suspected. I assume there is a rocker / micro switch in there. Do these commonly fail over time? Any words of wisdom with regard to opening the control unit, or replacing the switch?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Take a pic of your control box. I can then get you the diagrams of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks identical to this
Circa 1989 quick silver for mercruiser 4.3
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok, gonna need 2 replies here.
this one will get the handle off. Shift onto FWD gear. Then loosen the set screw 16, then wiggle the handle off and remove the cover plate. you will see a total of 6 bolts. 3 of them hold the control box to the plate.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-marine-accessory-parts/remote-controls-and-components/1994-up/remote-control-88150a27-a32

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Once you get the box open, you will be replacing part 7. You shouldnt have to remove may of the parts inside to get to it.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-marine-accessory-parts/remote-controls-and-components/1994-up/modular-components-design-iv

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** lists it as 94 and up, mine should be Oem 1989. Is there a way for us to verify it's the same part for a 1989?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Its the same box. All of the control boxes are listed on those pages.