Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

The breaker on the engine trips when I turn the key to

Customer Question
start. I just changed...
The breaker on the engine trips when I turn the key to start. I just changed the starter and the alternator. Slowly I have been losing power to several of my motors. My windless does not work, my spot light does not work, the depth finder does not work, my trailer lift does not work. All other items seem to work.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: anyone there?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2016
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the make, model and serial number of your engine please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sea Ray Sundance 290
Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo Three, GEN V
Serial Number OF424896
Mercruiser Stern Drive OF495393

Which terminal on the starter do you have the yellow/red connected to on start solenoid?

How old is the battery?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is only one spot on the starter to install the red/yellow wire. The larger red (positive) line goes to the solenoid. Both batteries are less than a year old.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I purchased a new starter and alternator. I replaced them both today.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Over the past few weeks I noticed that I lost power to my windlass, my spot light, trailer lift for outdrive, and my depth sounder. I am thinking this is a continuation of this. I am thinking a ground short or something.

Have you checked all the battery cable connections on the engine and the batteries. Are all your grounds connected to the ground on the batteries. All of these components are connected to the battery separate from the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All the cables I took off are back on in their same places. I cleaned the terminals and cables. I have power to the ignition switch, until I turn the key, then the breaker blows on the engine. No starter click, nothing.

Does the breaker trip soon as you turn the key to on or crank position?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is power to the slave solenoid when the breaker is on. When tripped, no power (obvious, but, I though you would like to know. Should I try to jump the slave solenoid? I would do that with the key on?

When does the breaker trip key on or key in start position? I need to determine if we have an ignition circuit issue or start circuit issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Key in the start position. Key in the on position has power, the buzzer for the halon system sounds and the gages are on. Once I turn to the start position, the breaker trips.

Ok we need to disconnect the small yellow wire from the slave solenoid. Now turn key to crank position does circuit breaker trip? If no then reconnect the yellow/red and go down to the start solenoid on the starter disconnect the yellow/red from the solenoid. Now turn key to crank position. Does circuit breaker trip?

Do these and post back with findings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took the red/yellow wire off the slave solenoid, still tripped the breaker. Put back on. Took the red/yellow wire off the starter, did not trip.

Which yellow/red it should be the one on the small terminal.

The yellow/red P. Does breaker trip? http://i.imgur.com/v6ikNFi.jpg

This is a new starter correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is the small terminal on the starter. Yes. New starter.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The breaker does not trip when I turn the key to the start.. but it doesn't do anything.

You have a short in the new starter. The solenoid is bad on the new starter. If it was anything else the breaker would trip. So when you disconnect the yellow/red from the starter it doesn't trip.

The starter won't engage with that wire disconnected as that is the power source for the start solenoid.

I would take the starter back to place of purchase and get it warrantied.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All is good. Error on my part. After looking at the schematic I noticed I put the wire on the wrong terminal. That took care of that issue.Next issue is why my windlass, spot light, depth sounder and trailer up switch doesn't work.

Where did you wire it wrong?

These are on a different circuit from the engine. Look for the power supply wire coming from the battery going to the fuse panel. The wire will have either a inline fuse or a circuit breaker. Check the fuse or breaker.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The red/yellow wire was ground to the starter. I did not have it to the solenoid. I will tackle the other stuff tomorrow. Shot for today.

Ok yeah that will do it.

Let me know what you find with those checks. I will be here tomorrow also.

Thank you.........Tan

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician