Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

1972 25 hp evinrude. WHEN IN FULL THROTTLE POSITION, RUNS

Customer Question

1972 25 hp evinrude . WHEN IN FULL THROTTLE POSITION , RUNS GREAT BUT EVERY COUPLE MINUTES IT CUTS OUT AND STARTS UP REAL QUICK AGAIN .. SOMETIMES BREAKING SHEAR PIN IS THIS TIMING OR LOWER UNIT SLIPPING OR WORE OUT
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: THATS IT
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

If the engine is jumping out of gear it won't quit running. If you have a ignition coil failing it will cut out a cylinder momentarily.

We will need a timing light to find the issue. Run the engine till it acts up have timing light connected to the top cylinder. Watch the flash of the timing light. The light should have a steady flash with no dead spots. If no dead spots on the top cylinder move to the bottom cylinder. Do the test again. If neither cylinder have a misfire then the lower unit is jumping out of gear. If you find a misfire replace that ignition coil and points and condenser.

Post back with questions and findings.