Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Yamaha 50tlr replaced all seals on ram side now it kicks up

Customer Question

Yamaha 50tlr replaced all seals on ram side now it kicks up in reverse trim works fine and doesnt leak down when up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: ok
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

How far apart did you have the system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pulled the ram out and seperated both replaced all o-rings put it back together filled inner with fluid before installing in housing
this was not the issue for the repair his top ram seal was leaking so that was why it was taken apart
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

When you removed the piston from the trim, did any of the springs or balls come out of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all six balls where there and all springs appear to be in good condition thats why it has stumped me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
upon disasmbly yes but with grease they were reinstalled and where there still when i pulled it back apart to recheck my work
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

the issue is going to lie in one of the check valves. Did any debris fall into the cylinder when you had it open?

What type of fluid are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything looks very clean atf dex 3 what we have always used. are you thinking of item 17
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Either one of those orings was pinched when you reinstalled them, or something is amiss on the stop piston.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
104 i will recheck it all thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
inside 17 there is a ball with spring and keeper the ball doesnt move i can see where the spring is tring to come past the star keeper does this make since
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Would that be spring 20?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no that is the two small springs that control tension on the six balls this is not shown on the sechamatic it is inside 17 which it covers the bolt at the end of the main shaft
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok, can you move that spring any or is it stuck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is stuck the ball that is against it is stuck also i just tried to attach a pic
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

with a screwdriver you should be able to move one or the other. May take quite a bit of force.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea it is pretty stuck i was thinkn to take out keeper fix spring then replace but you are thinking in the same lines as me as it needs to be moving?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Don't know that I would remove that keeper. Get a bit of carb cleaner and spray on the spring and the ball. See if you can get it freed up.