Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a Evenrude E-Tec E90DPLSOR and I started blowing the

Customer Question

I have a Evenrude E-Tec E90DPLSOR and I started blowing the engine 10A fuse. Its got to have a dead short somewhere. As soon as I turn the ignition key on the fuse blows. If I leave the key off I can put the motor up and down just fine. I was idling along at 1500 RPM when the motor shut off. Where should I start to find the problem.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rick, my name is Jason. The fuse powers the Ignition circuit on the boat/engine. Anything connected to the ignition circuit is suspect, including the EMM. If you pull the key switch out you will see a purple wire, that is the ignition wire. Typically it's used to power 2 things. 1. It's used to provide a "turn on" signal to the EMM (the EMM is the engines computer) 2. It is also typically used to power the gauges. I am attaching a PDF file showing a basic wiring diagram. If you brought this engine to me what I would do first is disconnect the J1-A plug at the EMM and try it. If the fuse does not blow, this confirms a bad EMM. If the fuse still blows, then you would want to go to your gauges next, and disconnect the purple wire from each gauge one at a time until you find the gauge that's blowing the fuse. See attachment.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this. But that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be done. I think that should do it, but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rick,

It looks like you read my answer without replying back or putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rick, just checking in, any progress?