K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

A 2005 meridian has a dometic vcd18k that needs to be

Customer Question

Good Morning - A 2005 meridian has a dometic vcd18k that needs to be replaced what is my best option? I keep coming up with a ECD16K, where am I going off track? Thanks Frank w/ Double A Industries
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

The VCD18K is still available HERE Depending on if the unit was oversized for the vessel to begin with The 2,000BTU loss of the other model may be too much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Others have recommended that ECD 16 K as a better retrofit and more cost-effective and the 2000 BTUs would be made up because of the higher efficiency are there any other brands besides the domedic that would be less money and equally as effective
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

I would use a BTU calculator just to make sure. Although new units may be more efficcent if the cooling system is underspecced for the size it will never cool properly. I'll post a calculator below.

Click here