Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

E70TLEUM has been sitting a year. I just bought it and it

Customer Question

E70TLEUM has been sitting for about a year. I just bought it and it ran fine when I looked at it prior to purchasing. When home I connected earmuffs and water. Had trouble starting and when it did start it ran for a short time and died upon restarting it high revved on its own and did not shut off with the ignition. I had to choke it to kill any suggestion?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The carburetors are dirty. What happens when the engine sits for a long time the volatile part of the fuel evaporates leaving a gummy residue in the carb. The first time you use it the engine starts and runs good then it starts to run worse and worse till it quits running all together. The fresh fuel you ran through the carburetor has started to dissolve the gummy residue in the carb. The residue starts to soften and break up in to pieces and start clogging all the ports and jets. The engine starts to rev from fuel starvation then finally quits and won't restart.

The remedy is to remove the carb, disassemble, clean and install carb kits.

This is a wise thing to do anyway as the engine sitting that long if you did take it out and run it and the high speed jets are partially clogged it will burn a piston. I recommend on a new purchase that has been sitting that long you need to go through the carb, replace the water pump, thermostat and pressure relief valve, change gear lube and all fuel filters.

This will resolve the engine issue and get you started fresh. The cooling system will be an issue if you don't service it also from sitting.

Post back with questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you the carbs were new rebuilt last year but that was prior to sitting. I thought it may be an old fuel carb issue but wanted to ask an expert.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Yep sitting is bad for carburetors with fuel in them. All your symptoms are carb related.