Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I cannot start my Tohatsu 40 HP outboard with electric start

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
6/18/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Is your engine the two or four stroke?

Has it been sitting for some time unused?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unused for a while
4 stroke
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
full of gas in the tank is old gas but it should do something sputter etc pump bulb is tight

when you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump run?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did smell fuel and there is a beep when you turn key to on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not alot of fuel smell just a normal amount

With the hood off the engine, you should hear a pump run when the key it turned to the on position.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will do that and check will take a few minutes this motor has not very many hours on it would the fuel pump just die ? it was purchsed new the vendor suggested to dump all the gas seems wasteful be back in a little while

No worries. There are no time limits here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok we cant hear anything when we turn the key to the on position with the lid off

Make sure that the kill switch is fully in the Run position.

If that is good, you will need a multimeter to do some testing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where would we find the kill switch ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are 2 spring type cords with buttons on them one on the dashboard on the pontoon the other on the motor itself both of those are attatched and seem to be in the correct place

Those are the kill switches.

Do you have a multimeter? How long would you say that the engine has been sitting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how would I check them to make sure they are in correctly I cant pull them off to replug them in approximately 1 yea of sitting perhaps 1 1/2 years
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont have a multimeter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will go look at them again while you think about this

You can remove the cords and then plug then back in. With the engine cranking and you not hearing a sound from the pump, I am thinking that the pump is varnished up.

Do you have some scrap wire laying around. We can do a test another way.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cant remove the plugs but perhaps varnish yes how do I remove that ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
put stabil in the gas ? well hmm has to pump to work its fuel injected ............................
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could find a wire
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
electrically the whole pontoon works motor lift lights etc starter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Need some heet ah well gas line not frozen

Adding something to old fuel will not take care of this problem. If you can locate some wire, I can talk you through a test on the fuel pump to see if it is going to run or not. In the mean time do you see the test port for the fuel system? It should be at the top of the silver item located on the left side of the engine, where the fuel pump is located. Depress the valve and see if there is any pressurized fuel there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There wasnt that I could see a test port however I did disconnect the gas tank on the motor and there is free flowing fuel there so I believe the varnish deduction is likely the problem
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
either way it seems to be related to the fuel pump as a result for my skill set we may be beyond what I can do
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we have a local small engine service person that can work on outboards he may be our next step :(

If he does not feel comfortable working on this engine, I can guide you through the repair. I always try and save the pump before replacing them. These pumps list for between $400-$500 depending on where you get them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im sure he will be ok with it the pontoon will have to be taken out of the water then the motor can be serviced its kind of complex due to the fact it belongs to my parents and they are 80 so they can have him do the work but they dont even have a trailer for it for me to take it to him..................................
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for trying to help I think we are done here be well :)

A trailer really would help. Removing the engine from the boat is rather tough.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic