How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Charles Your Own Question
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 3861
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
Type Your Boat Question Here...
Charles is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you need to remove the power head in order to replace 50

Customer Question

do you need to remove the power head in order to replace 50 HP 1973 Johnson 2 stroke rings? OR can you remove the head and replace rings w/o removing entire engine?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

To gain the access needed to remove the piston from the engine block, you will need to remove the cylinder head and the complete intake including the reeds. With the top cylinder reading 0 PSI, I would suspect that there is also cylinder wall damage. Before you order any parts, you should remove the cylinder head and inspect the walls and the piston. you may actually need to get the engine resleeved in order to begin a repair.

Related Boat Questions