Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a Mercury 200hp Outboard Optimax. Its got one ,

Customer Question
I have a Mercury 200hp...
I have a Mercury 200hp Outboard Optimax. Its got one long, continuous pulsating beep & it will not crank. What's wrong? PLease help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
6/12/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Will the engine spin over and not start, or will it not spin at all?

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
qto19765 it spins over great just wont crank. it has a loud contuis pulsating alarm as soon as you turn the key

The serial number will start with a 0 or a 1, followed by a letter, then 6 more numbers. Or do you know the year of the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1999

Ok thanks. first thing to look at is the kill switch in the boat. Make sure that it is fully in the run position.

Then I will need to know the CCA size on the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do i have a kill switch and if so where would it be? i dont see anything around the ignition key like all my boats in the past. i have two new batteries 845cca. two weeks old

What control box do you have?

Can you post a pic of the dash and control here?

Your not trying to start in gear are you?

when did the engine last run?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, it won't spin over in gear. i just got the boat back from a mechanic of sorts. i had to have the 80 gallon tank cut out of the floor and replaced. i just this morning got a new starter installed. he was either busy or slow so to answer your question it hasnt been crunk and running in 12 months. im not sure if this boat had a kill switch. but if it did i cant see where it would go. however i do notice something missing from my boat keys since i got it back but im not sure what

Do you hear the fuel pumps run when you turn the key on?

Can you get into the console and locate the black/yellow wires and make sure that they are connected properly and not to a black?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i cant hear anything with the alarm screaming the second you touch the key

If you have a helper, remove the engine hood, then have them turn the key from off to ON, you should hear 2 pumps turn on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the wires come out of the ignition and go directly into a cluster headed under the floor of the boat

Yes, in that cluster is a black and yellow wire, this is the kill circuit.

Can you test the pumps, and while your on the engine, check all the fuses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
both pumps seem to be coming on. one on each side of the engine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have one cluster of fuses at the engine. all 20 amp. all 4 fuses are good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
these wires arent plug type wires they are hard wired

The wires you mention, is that the key switch wires?

ok, Can you test it for spark?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all six are firing

Is this alarm beeping or solid in tone?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its constant but pulsating in tone

Ok, Locate the oil tank on the engine, unplug it and see if the alarm stops. If not, remove the fuel filter canister filter, and pour it into a glass jar. See if you have any water in it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all this on the fuel side is brand new. filter tank and hoses. the alarm on the oil tank when it goes off isnt constant. i found that out the hard way. but i will go check it tho
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i unplug the oil tank and the constant beep went away. now i hear 4 intermittent beeps
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
gas filter seems to be clear of water and debris

Ok, Can you test the battery power going to the engine?

Sorry about the delay, I lost power.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
8.2 while trying to crank. 12.5
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12.5 before you spin it over

Ok, these engines need at least 9.5 to the ECU to even start. Try a set of jumper cables from the battery to the engine. See it if will then start. If it does, you either have dirty connections or bad battery cables.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i dont have jumper cables that long. would it be safe to jump it off from my truck

Yes, you can use the truck battery. Place the red from the cables on the red of the starter solenoid, the black to a good engine ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now its spinning over at 9.7. alarm still going off. 4 pulsating beeps and 1 long constant beep afterwards

Did it start?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
didnt even try

Put some water to it and give it a go.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did that it sounds like it occasionally wants to fire but the alarm isnt stopping

Look at the temp senders on the cylinder heads and the air compressor. Make sure that all of them have all 3 wires plugged in.

With the key on, engine off, with the alarm going off, move the throttle let me know if the alarm stops.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
help me with temp senders. im not sure what they are. however i checked every wire and harness i saw. i checked the alarm its coming on and off 4 times and nothing else. the throttle didnt stop the beeping
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this all seems to be plugged in

There is also one on the air compressor. Looks just like the other 2.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its plugged tight as well

Check to make sure that the TPS, air temp, the coil drivers and the coils. are all plugged in as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok it all seems to be plugged in secure

Alright, is the oil tank still unplugged?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

Alarm still sounds?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but not constant. 4 beeps then it goes off

Is that a 4 light warning light in the dash? Does it work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my light doesnt work

That would really help here. Do you think it may only be the bulbs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im not sure. dont know how to check the bulbs. im calling it quits for today

They are just regular small light bulbs. You can either look at them or use a multimeter set or resistance to check them.

Talk to you later.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic