Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

25 merc, starts hard then idles gh but Boggs when you try to

Customer Question
25 merc, starts hard then...
25 merc, starts hard then idles high but Boggs when you try to accelerate.sounds like there is a popping noise also when you try to accelerate.1980s model.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I'
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: The moter had a mouse nest with stuff packed all around the inside of the engine cover before the problem happened.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
6/11/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Has the engine been sitting unused?

How long have you had this issue with the hard starting?

Have you done any work to the fuel system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sat over winter but started right away in spring. Ran fine for 5 uses. 30 min each. 3 week period. Was going through water at very slow speed went to accelerate and engine popped and died. Will start but idles high and wont accelerate. Makes popping sound like the timing is off. No work done on fuel system

Can you pull the spark plugs and look at the tips of them.

Could you also do a compression test on the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not right now but can later. I can't do a compression check
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pulling the plugs and changing the gas was going to be my next step.

For the compression test, you can rent a tester at an auto parts store.

When you do get to the engine, also check the fuel for water. It is really easy to buy water at a gas station.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. Is there a possibility of a timing issue or is there no such issues with these 2 stroke motors.

Only real way that it could be a timing issue is it the trigger is not moving, or the key sheared off under the flywheel. Has the engine recently had a fast shut down, like if you had hit bottom, and the engine just stopped?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't think so thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's the trigger?

Do you have the serial number of the engine, I can get you a diagram of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't right now thanks

Ok, I am looking for a diagram. Is the engine from 1980 or the 1980's?

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic