Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Have a 1994 evinrude that idles perfect and revs great

Customer Question
Have a 1994 evinrude...
Have a 1994 evinrude that idles perfect and revs great without a load put under load in gear and still idles great but give it has it takes of and Boggs a around 300o rpm it stays steady in the bogg but let off for a second it will start to take of and just bogg agaign I've put all new fuel lines including fuel pickup tub hoses rebuilt carb new coil new power pack and it also only charges at 10 to 11 volts at idle if you rev it up it will go to 12 . 5 volts I'm thinking stator idk but they get expensive so tryin to get a little advice on it also new plug wires and plugs and I run on a seperate portable tank and different prime bulb but I did put new once bulb with new line on also
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/9/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi John, good morning, my name is Jason.

What is the history on this engine? When was the last time it made full power? Have you ever seen it make full power?

How old is the fuel itself?

Have you done any testing on your own yet, namely spark and compression testing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Jason the fuel is brand new I have ran boat 25 to 30 times since Jan fishing I had kinda same trouble a month or so ago where it was kickin the slow mode in that's why I changed line and bulb then the power pack it was running great and last week started to slowly loose peer till it finally is always bogging after around 3000 rpm I also had to takin off about 3 years ago
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Had vro takin off about 3 yrs ago

Have you checked engine compression and spark output?

What happens is compression and spark output need to be checked first. Compression is a pass or fail test. If it's missing spark then the ignition system needs more troubleshooting in order to figure out why. If compression and spark are both good, then the problem is going to be in the fuel system and there are steps to troubleshoot that. But we need to know first if the engine has compression and proper spark. Are you able to do those tests? Do you have a compression gauge and either a spark tester or a timing light?

Hi John, I tried to accept your request for phone service but the system says your payment failed to authorize a phone call. If you want to get that straightened out you can contact customer service at *****@******.***

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
compression 119 and 121 in each cylinder and great spark
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At idle I'm down to like 10.5 volts charging and when bogg is at around 3000 rpm it goes to 11.9 to 12.1 volts if I can get it to rev it usually would go to 12 . 7 is highest I've seen and that reading is from my hummingbird 898

The charging may or may not be related, there are other things to check before that.

How are you testing for spark specifially?

Have you tried pumping the primer bulb over and over to force fuel to the engine to see if it picks up?

Do you have a decent quality volt/ohm meter, and can you take resistance measurements?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've updated for call grounding from a solider copper wire that I attached to bolt on engine block and yes I've pumped primer and made no difference

This time I sent you the offer for phone service, lets see if it goes through this way.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok it had me update agaign so I did but got to tell ya kinda query on givin that info more than once
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jason you seem like you want to help but I tried phone call thing 3 times now and I'm updating it like it says and saving all the settings like it says I'm just not comfortable anymore and gonna try to get my info back so I don't get a million dollar charge from the company thanks for your time and sorry for any incoveince just chaulk it up as another company tryin to rip me off not your fault I understand

Sorry to hear you are uncomfortable with the website. I do not actually work for the website, I am just a contractor. You can contact customer service at *****@******.*** and they can answer any billing questions that you may have.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic