Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

RECENTLY PURCHASED A 1974 9.8 MERCURY OUTBOARD. I HAVE THIS

Customer Question

RECENTLY PURCHASED A 1974 9.8 MERCURY OUTBOARD. I HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH STARTINGTHE ENGINE. ROPE PULL WITH CHOKE SLIGHTLY OUT ENGINE WOULD START EVERY TIME. FOR SOME REASON THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN START IT NOW IS WITH A SHOT OF STARTING FLUID. THEN IT WILL START ON EVERY PULL. THE NEEDLE HAS BEEN REPLACED IT HAS A SMALL SPRING ON TOP OF THE NEEDLE AND THE FLOAT LEVEL HAS BEEN SET BY A SO CALLED EXPERT I AM TOTALLY FRUSTRATED
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

The float level won't really affect the starting. Next time just set it so the float is parallel with the body of the carb held upside down.

What do the spark plugs look like?

Have you done a compression test? What kind of pressure?

When you pull the choke and look into the throat of the carb is the choke plate partially open, open or fully closed?

The throttle cam on top of the carb is it worn with a groove in it?

What spark plugs are you using?

Please answer all these questions and we can narrow down the problem area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
spark plugs are new The choke has three settings # ***** is full closed The throttle cam is not worn, they are special recommended by Mercury,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to replace the power pack due to failure of the old one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no compression test seems to have good compression it is hard to pull I will check this What should the compression pressure be?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Compression will vary with the gauge. Looking for either real low or difference over 15#.

When you choke it are you holding the choke all the way closed? When you open it do you get a little gas out the carb?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the choke is completely closed no there is no gas