Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I changed the water impeller on my 2001 150 hp merc , now I

Customer Question
have no forward or reverse...
I changed the water impeller on my 2001 150 hp merc , now I have no forward or reverse
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercurys are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can see exactly which engine you have.

Is the lower unit still on, or have you taken it back off?

It looks like you read my reply and logged off, did you still need help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my name is ***** ***** it is a 2001 merc 150hp optimax , serial #ot303223 , also says 150L OPTI , I have removed the lower again , went to spin propeller counter clockwise to insert while control is in reverse position but the shaft isnt spinning when I turn prop

I do not quite understand you. Are you saying te drive shaft is not spinning then you turn the prop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct

Is it just freewheeling, spinning with no resistance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct spins freely

Did you put the lower unit into forward gear by grabbing the shift shaft in the front with a pair of pliers and turning it to the right?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no i didnt

OKay that is why it's freewheeling, you have to put the lower unit into forward gear first.

Can you open up PDF files if I send you the instructions for installation in that format?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can

Okay give me a few to get it copied for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok....thanks

I'm attaching the file to this response. When installing the lower make sure you disconnect the shift cable from the outboard first and shift the linkage by hand. Both the outboard and the lower unit must be in forward gear before attempting to install the lower. This is a tricky job, at the end of the day, the difficulty level is probably an 8 or 9 on a 1 to 10 scale. So if you don't get it on your first try, remove the lower and try again. It will eventually go into place, it just takes some practice to get good at installing these and having them shift correctly the first time.

See attatchment.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok...Im gonna try to put it in...thanks

You are very welcome and I was glad I could help. Please let me know if you run into any troubles when trying to select a rating for my service.

Thanks again and good luck!

Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is almost all the ways in , I dont want to force it......what should I be doing? turning the prop?

There are 3 things that have to be lined up. The drive shaft, the shift shaft, and the water tube. Any one of them could keep it from going all the way up. You can try grabbing the prop and giving it a little tug counter clockwise. Or you could have a helper pull the spark plugs out and rock the flywheel back and forth. Either way would help align the drive shaft.

It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.

Thanks

Jason

Good morning. Just checking in. Any progress?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put it in but it wont shift into neutral , i have taken it out a few times and spun the prop until it goes in but it never seems to correct it

This is tricky to do. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the most difficult, this is about an 8 to do.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any ideas?

Uhhh.... this only goes together one way, what other kinds of ideas are you looking for?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if it is an electric shifter.....would that change anything?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
perhaps if I remove it again and manually shift it into reverse (counter clockwise) and then put shifter in reverse and spun prop counter clockwise

No it wouldn't. If you go back to the file I gave you step 6 reads;

6. Shift gear housing into forward gear and place guide block anchor pin into forward

gear position.

If the outboard has mechanical control you have to remove the shift cable to do step 6. If you have electronic controls you would remove the electric shift actuator.

Since you have electric shift, are you removing your shift actuator before performing step 6?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i havent removed or disconnected anything with the shifter

If you didn't do that then you are not following the instructions that I gave you. If you are not following the instructions I am not surprised you are having a hard time. This only goes together 1 way. You need to remove the shift actuator from the outboard, and shift the outboards shift linkage into forward gear before trying to push the lower unit up into place.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic