Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Getting 4 beeps alarm on 2007 Mercury 115/ four stroke/fuel

Customer Question
injected. Comes on shortly after...
Getting 4 beeps alarm on 2007 Mercury 115/ four stroke/fuel injected. Comes on shortly after starting and than periodically. 4 beeps are hard to hear when going 20-25 miles an hour so not loud?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/23/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.Would you please post the serial number of the engine, so that I can pull the correct one up?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1B494120
Thanks. Other than the alarm, is the engine running ok and still making full throttle?Do you know the service history on the engine?Do you happen to have SmartCraft gauges in the boat?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Engine is runny fine. I am on 4 yr of ownership and take it in to be winterized and oil changed in spring buy dealer.. Did my oil for first time 2 weeks ago. Guy before bought boat in 2009 new and said he always took boat in also and sold it to me since he was not using it enough. No smart craft gauges.
Alright, lets see if we can figure out this alarm. Beeping is for a sensor out of range, not oil pressure or temp. They are both solid tones. Is there a primer bulb in the fuel line?Did you happen to disconnect a sensor while going the oil change. You may need to remove the engine hood and look at all the sensor connectors to make sure that one did not become dislodged when you reinstalled the hood.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No prime bulb on fuel line. The alarm went on my 4th day on the water in 2 weeks so don't think it was from taking cover off from oil change but will go check?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could not find anything loose or disconnected when I took motor cover off?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did blow a 5 amp fuse on my live well the night before the alarm? Just trying to give you anything that might help?
Was the pump fuse due to the pump failing or something else?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure what caused it to blow. Well was full of debris from fish such as minnows and stringers so I tried turning well on to pump out some of junk the morning before I went out and it was dead. Worked the night before. Than started boat that morning and got the alarm going out.
Ok, do you happen to have a multimeter?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I do not?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My concern was that I am suppose to go fishing this Friday but can't get in to service till June 15th. Do you think I am ok using boat for 1 day till then?
That really depends on the cause of the alarm. Does the boat have a volt meter? With a bit of testing, we may be able to figure this out before you ever have that appt. Does the battery happen to die on you when you are out?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No! Battery is brand new. 1st time I took the boat out starting battery was dead. 7 yrs old so bought new one. No volt meter on the boat. Live well ran the rest of the day after I replaced fuse with no issues. I did totally drain it,
to get all the junk out since I though it may have gotten plugged and caused fuse to blow.
Ok, I was thinking about maybe a voltage issue on the engine. Does the engine ever shake briefly at high speed, slow momentarily and then pick back up?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Ran very smoothly?
Well, you keep eliminating the most frequent causes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never really opened the boat up once I got the alarm. Tried to keep it at 25-30 miles an hour. Did have to punch it when leaving spots since I use my trolling motor a lot and did not notice any hesitation or loss of power than.
this would be on plane running at around 4000-4500 RPM
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Need to go to work in a half hour. If I can get volt meter what should I check?
I need you to check the battery volts, right before cranking, just after the engine starts and as it is running.. The voltage once the engine starts sould be around 13V at idle and go up to 14V at around 1500 RPM.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Also make sure that this battery is the proper size for this engine. It does take an extra heady duty cranking battery. 850 CCA/ 1000 MCA.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery is correct.
Great. that rules out another of the common issues with this engine. When was the last time that the fuel filters were replaced?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have not replaced fuel filters?
I would due to their age. One is located right on the front of the engine when the fuel line enters the cowling. The other is on the left side about 3/4 ways down the side of the block. They are both the same part number, 879885T. Any Mercury outboard dealer should carry them. Give that a shot and let me know how it runs after that.
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic