Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Hissing, high idle speed and engine dies under power.

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
5/23/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, Kevin, my name is***** will assist youWould you please post the full model number from the engine?Do you recall what the compression numbers were?Were the carbs done before or after this started?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2004 F75TLRC Yamaha
150 on all four cylinders
after cleaning, engine would not start prior due to old fuel in the carbs and varnish.
Thanks, ***** ***** removed the carbs, did you take off just the carbs, or the entire intake?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the whole unit
Ok, now I am assuming all new gaskets and O-rings were installed as it went back together.Are you near the engine now and have a can of wither carb cleaner or WD-40, or something like them?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, reused same gaskets and o rings
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have spray
Sorry, I had to step away for a few. Start the engine on a hose, allow it to warm for a minute. Then take the spray and use it around the flange where it intake runners meet the block and the point between the carbs and the intake. You are listening for a change in the engine tone.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried that and could not detect any changes...
With the engine running, can you identify about where you hear the air leaking?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At the entry of the air intake sounds like air is sucking.
Got it, After you rebuilt the carbs, did you hook a vacuum type gauge to the intake runners and set the sync on the carbs?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kind of like an old steam train.cha cha cha cha cha
The thing that you need, looks like this one here. It is used to et the intake vacuum of each carb.http://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-Vacuummate-ME-Built-In-Battery-TS-71/dp/B0022WQL5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464039165&sr=8-1&keywords=vacuummate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help, time to bring in a mechanic...beyond my ability...
Your welcome. What I feel that you have going on is that the carbs really need to be synced and the engine will smooth out. You cannot set up this engine correctly without it.
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic