Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

The galley GFCI has no power to it.

Customer Question
The galley GFCI has no power to it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
5/22/2016
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hello John. My name is ***** ***** have no voltage at the GFCI you need to verify the neutral. Have you tried checking from a different receptacle neutral to the hot at the GFCI. The GFCI need both hot and neutral. If you have voltage at the circuit breaker you have either no neutral or a broken hot wire to the GFCI.Does this make sense?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
None of the receptacles (galley and receptacle behind the closet where the TV and DVD player) on that GFCI are working. Would something like this just stop working?
if you loose either voltage or the neutral. Connect the red test lead to the black hot at the GFCI and the black test lead to a neutral at the circuit panel. Lets verify you haven't lost neutral. Then we will have to track down the hot wire if the neutral isn't the problem.The way the circuit works is the GFI get power then from the GFI it supplies power to up to 5 other receptacles. What will happen when you connect your meter to another neutral and to the hot at the GFI is either no reading verifying no hot or a reading telling us the neutral is the problem. The neutral wire is the white wire.
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic