Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My name is***** just replace my trim switch on a quicksilver

Customer Question

hi my name is***** just replace my trim switch on a quicksilver 3000 classic put it back together and now it won't shift forward or reverse please help.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ron. My name is***** you put the handle back on in the same position you removed it from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Does the throttle only button push in and pop back out? Did you disconnect any of the cable from the engine? Are you testing with engine running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
button pops back out, just replaced trim switch I didn't touch anything else.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok go to the back of the boat and shift the control do you see the bottom cable moving on the shift bracket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
control handle will not move forward or into reverse its stuck
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Are you trying to shift without engine running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was able to do so before i installed the switch
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The way the gears shift in the drive is a metal clutch engages a metal gear. Both have kugs that they lock into. If the engine isn't running the lugs can't match up to go in gear. The drive has to have the gears spinning for it to shift correctly. Do this if the boat is out of the water have a friend spin the prop while you shift the control. Does it shift now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its the control handle that wont move,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i call you
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The phone call is extra we are not allowed calls from customers but I can call you.Disconnect the control cables at the engine see if the control will function correctly. It is possible the control is jammed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the offer for phone call,but I already paid 29.00 for your answer.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
You paid the company I haven't received anything I don't get paid till you positively rate my service. Did you get my last post about disconnecting the cables at the engine?