Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

We can't get the engine to start. Sometimes it'll crank but

Customer Question

we can't get the engine to start. Sometimes it'll crank but not start, sometimes it wont. battery seems to be fine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: can't get our chris craft launch 25 to start up. Sometimes it cranks but won't turn over, sometimes nothing happens
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Which engine do you have in the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan. Volvo Penta 8.1
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan,Is the engine cranking but not starting? Or not cranking at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both. It started and was ideling fine and then just cut out. After that it would not start. Sometimes when I turn the key I get nothing and it is totally dead and other times it just cranks and cranks without turning over. None of the gauges are working and the customary beep when I turn the key does not happen
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a hand held multimeter and are you able to take voltage measurments? Or do you want to do this based on best guess based on symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do not have a voltage meter
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing that we can test without a meter, did you have any specific or general questions for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess not then
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay? Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u srs m8