Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Force 120. One month ago my Force 120hp ran perfect and I

Customer Question

Force 120. One month ago my Force 120hp ran perfect and I parked it.
On Tuesday I cranked it and it would not start even though I cranked it until the battery apparently started to die, two or three minutes of intermittent powerful cranking. I suspected the battery needed recharging overnight. During the normal cranking the engine never once tried to start, that is, no smoke or explosions. As I thought the battery was depleted, the motor barely turned over.
The next day after recharging and buying a fresh new battery. The motor only turned over at such a slow rate like the new battery was depleted, just like the end of the day before.
I did pump the fuel bulb each day. Is it possible that there was no fuel mix going to the motor on the Tuesday attempts and the motor is kind of frozen up? It does turn over but so slowly. The starter is working, but barely turning the motor.
Help me.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Gregory, My name is***** will assist you.When you had the engine slowly turning over, were the battery cables getting hot?Are you near the engine now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not feel the cables. I am one minute away from the boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It always started normally for 20 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the boat I am just out of wifi range
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I try to crank the motor again and feel the cables?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a cell phone
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
please try and crank while feeling the battery cables
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
If it is still really slow, remove the spark plugs and try it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should I crank the moto. It really cranks so slow. But the battery is fully charged and new?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Take out the spark plugs then try to crank it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. That will take a f
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
No worries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was locked out of typing for 15 minutes. I removed the spark plugs and the engine cranks normally if I get locked out of texting you what do I do?
Plugs are removed. Motor turns over OK
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you have a multimeter to test some voltages. We can move to the phone if you wish to. It is a premium service that the site offers, but it does come with an extra charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great. put the plugs back in. Take a voltage reading at the positive cable on the starter solenoid while not cranking. then again while cranking. You will need an assistant to get that part done. If it is really close to being the same, move the meter red lead to the other large post on the solenoid. Again measure while cranking. Should be close to the other reading. If it is way off, you may have a failing starter, if the voltage on the red battery cable drops when cranking, check all of the connections for the battery and cables.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Take a voltage reading at the positive cable on the starter solenoid while not cranking.------18.8Volts.
again while cranking. --------13.0Volts
move the meter red lead to the other large post on the solenoid. Again measure while cranking. ------- 13.0Volts
Should be close to the other reading. If it is way off, you may have a failing starter, if the voltage on the red battery cable drops when cranking, check all of the connections for the battery and cables.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Can you test it right at the starter post for the positive input?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Was it cranking faster or still slow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still slow. I can test it at the starter post. Doing it now
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same at the starter post while cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same means 13.0Volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drop through the solenoid always drops from 18volts to 13volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter turned the motor fast with the spark plugs removed
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, 18 volts is way too high for a 12V battery. It should read 14.4 when fully charged and then go down from there. Since you are hitting the starter with 13V, is should be turning the engine very fast. See how hard it is for you to turn the engine using a 15/16 socket and ratchet, on the flywheel nut. If it is easy to turn, the starter is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My tablet battery is almost dead.
I was able to turn the flywheel by hand. I do not have a 1-1/8. Socket. The starter gear is always engaged , even when the key is off. stuck engaged. Also the spark plugs appeared to be wet when I took the out so there was gas getting to the cylinders My battery voltage does show 18volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I get a new solenoid along with a new starter?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid seems fine. It is passing the correct voltage.I would suspect that your battery charger may be going out though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Buy a new starter?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Arco is a good brand with a warranty and will be a direct replacement.