Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 2005 kawasaki stx 12f. it kept needing to get

Customer Question
hello. I have a 2005...
hello. I have a 2005 kawasaki stx 12f. it kept needing to get jump started at the lake the first time I used it this year so I replaced the battery. When I put the new battery in it had no electrical power so I checked the fuses and they were both blown. Replace both fuses and now when I turn the key it beats I get wants to try but it just keeps beeping and flashing like it has a bad connection but I've checked all the connections. Any help please!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
5/18/2016
Marine Mechanic: Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft replied 1 year ago
Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Hi my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ? couple of things before we get startedI need to get the HIN (hull number)How long has this unit been sitting ?Hours on this unit ?Do you have a multi-meter ?Any other things been checked or changed recently here ?Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello Kenny my name is ***** ***** for helping! hull # ***** KAW42425C505 it sat for 6 months during winter. it has about 100 hours on it but can't be exact because the screen won't fully load.. I don't multimeter is.. and I installed a magnum chip in the ski about a year ago. hasn't given me problems yet..
OK Mike thanks, I'm not familiar with the "magnum" chip, I really need you t get a multi-meter to start, I need you to do some initial checks, what concerns me is the fuses were blown which tells me that many the DC supply voltage polarity was reversed at one point ?If you have a Harbor Freight tool store close you can pick one up there for about $7 or sometimes they hand them out for free, or a Walmart you can pick one up there that is pretty inexpensive.If you can explain the magnum chip and how its hooked up that will help me also. But we really need a meter her to check a few thingsThanks MikeKenny
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
luckily I live a couple blocks from harbor freight so I have a multi meter now. you are correct the the negative and positive battery cables are hooked up backwards. I took a battery out of a different jet ski and put it in and hooked it up without ever looking to see the terminals were opposite of my original battery. and I did that before I got the new battery. The chip has a positive and negative that goes to the battery and two other wires that tie in to the fuel management wire.
OK, I would like you to disconnect the chip and check for spark, see the factory puts in fail safe components (fuses) that protect the system most of the time, most aftermarket components have a very low tolerance to reverse polarity situations.Let try that and let me know and then go from there.Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the chip is unhooked at this point. still the same problem
OK, I need your HIN number, so a can pull the correct diagram for wiring
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
US KAW42425C505
Thanks Mike, you in Nocal ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes chico
OK, so have you ever used a multi-meter before ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no sir. never had the need
OK you will need to go to that back of the ski where the battery is located, next to the battery you see a big flat box (component) has about 20 wires going into it, that is the ECU, I want you to unplug the connector to the ECU and then I'm going to have you check voltage and resistance on a couple of wires.Take a picture of your meter and post it up, I'll make it easy for you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
got it
Turn meter on, plug in your mete leads, set the meter to VDC 20Then establish battery voltage by measuring voltage directly at the battery, write the number down.On the ECU after its unplugged find the "red" wire, key on, lanyard in, insert the meter lead (+) into the pin on the red wire, you might get a paper clip and the meter probe might be to big to get a good contact, then black (-) meter lead to the negative side of the battery, this voltage should be the same as what you measured at the battery.Next switch you meter to the Ohms scale, in the same connector you measured voltage on the red wire, now find the white wire, positive meter lead to the "white" wire and the negative meter lead to the battery negative post, should have no resistance, (infinite, open) with leads hooked up, then pull the lanyard and it should change to "0"Let me know what you come up with here.BTW, is this ski a fresh or salt water ski ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm only getting .3 on the red wire
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
.03 that is
OK, what about the "white" wire, did you check the resistance on that yet ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thereally is a white wireally with a red stripe. white wire with red dots. no plan whitems.. it's a fresh water ski
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not getting anything on any of the white wires
Its probably the white with dots, you re checking resistance not voltage, what you are checking is if that white wire is shorted to ground when the key is on and the lanyard plugged in to the switch .
OK then pull the lanyard and then what the meter does ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it doesn't change
OK, lets go back to the ECU plug, there is a red/white wire on the ECU plug, key on lanyard in, measure voltage on that wire, it might be close to the red wire you tested earlier.
The r/w wire at the ECU is pin #9
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that one is the same as the battery
OK that's good, that is the main power to the ECUNow set your meter to the ohms scale, and I want you to check the resistance on pin 25 (black wire) from that black to the (-) side of the battery.
So to help you out reading your meter when in ohms, touch the meter leads together and watch your meter, so when the two leads see a path the meter will read 0, then when you separate the leads it will go open, so when checking the black wire, that is the ground, the ECU has to have a ground, so checking from the battery (-) to the black wire to the ECU that will insure us that the ECU is getting a good ground.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it bounces around alot with the lanyard unhooked from 2.0 mostly to hitting 16. same with the lanyard plugged in but it seams to settle around 2.0 more
It appears that you have a ground issue, the lanyard should have no effect on what you are measuring, basically when your meter lead is on the battery and the other end is plugged into the pin (black) at the ECU it should be the same reading as if you touch the two meter leads to each other
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
with the rods touching eachother it settles at about 1.0 so where do I check my ground?
one meter lead on the battery (-) and the other at the black wire at the ECU plug #25
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what I mean is how do I fix the ground issue.
Is there a ground issue ? we haven't determined that yet, have we ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it bounces around alot with the lanyard unhooked from 2.0 mostly to hitting 16. same with the lanyard plugged in but it seams to settle around 2.0 more. this being touching number #25 and the negative on the battery
Mike I suspect at this point that damaged occurred either to the harness or the ECU, this ski has two harness's and between they have a series of joint connectors, these joint connectors are there basically to make connections, so a series of wires come into the connectors and then connections are made, they have a cap on each connector that is what actually makes the connections, so my advise at this point is to pop of the caps of all the joint connectors and inspect for damage or corrosion that might have occurred over time or when the polarity was reversed.From what I can see id the ECU is getting its main voltage, however there are a series of sensors and relays that can also effect the function of the ECU.Diagnosing wiring harness issues is something that comes over time and being able to follow a diagram, it can be taxing for even the most experienced technicians.I'm going to post a link at the ignition system, as you will see if you start at the battery negative and positive you'll get an idea of the path of both polarities, and as you will see as they go into the various joint connectors and get divided from that connector and then get split off usually again.But you need to check the connectors where the main harness connects to the engine harness, there can be a problem there.Let me know what you think.ThanksKennyhttp://spaces.hightail.com/receive/X5jED
Hey Mike one thing I didn't ask you, does the fuel pump appear to run for a few seconds when the key is turned on, also make sure you download a copy of that file.
Kenny O.
Kenny O.