Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 01 Formula 330 SS....shore power was working just

Customer Question

I have a 01 Formula 330 SS....shore power was working just a week ago. Checked all connections as well as voltage at the female end of the plug. No power to the circuit panel board in the boat. Any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?We need to check for power at the main panel where the wires from the plug connect to the main breakers. You will have to pull the panel out to access these wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will pull the panel out now and check for power
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok pull the panel out and check for voltage on the breakers. Connect the black test lead to the white wire and the red test lead to the black wire on the breaker. You should have voltage. If no voltage then you will have to go to the receptacle where the shore power cord plugs in and pull the receptacle out. Now check for voltage on the black and white wires with cord plugged in. Black tests lead to white and the red to black. You should have voltage. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at the main breaker.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok Did you check both terminals at the breaker?If yes then now you have to go to the receptacle where the shore power cord plugs in. Pull the receptacle out and check voltage on the same wires with shore power cord plugged in. It is probably the receptacle that is burned out or the wires are corroded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the process of changing out the receptacle .
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok did it look burned or what did you find?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to positively rate my service as that is the only way I get credit for helping you. Follow up questions are always welcome at no extra cost on this subject even after you have rated. Thank you......Tan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little oxidation...inconsistent voltage readings. Buying a new outlet tomorrow . Keep you posted.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced the outlet...no power. Cut the end off an extension cord ...spliced it directly to the boat receptacle leads. No power to control board ...
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok somewhere between the outlet and the control panel is a connection that is bad or a breaker. Are there any breakers near the outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was my next question to you... Is there a disconnecting means between the outlet and the breaker?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No there is not a disconnecting unless you have a breaker near the outlet. Look around the outlet for a circuit breaker. If no breaker then you have a broken wire wire between the outlet and the panel.