Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I left it at the dock in the water and it got a ton of water…

Customer Question
I left it at...

I left it at the dock in the water and it got a ton of water in it. It is a 2000 LRV I and bringing back to life. put a new motor in it this year just got it broke in. running great till I found the water

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

It would not start I found water in the cylinders that blew out when I pulled the plugs and cranked it over.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 6 days by:
5/16/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Getting water onto the cylinders would be an indication of either a leaking water jacket on the engine, back flow from the exhaust, or when the hull filled up, it came from the gas tank. Once you can get the engine running after changing all oils, and making sure that the fuel is clear Back the ski onto the water and then start it up. Inspect the exhaust boots and the bilge plugs area to make sure that you are not taking on water there. If it is not either of these two, You will need to do a leakdown test on the engine to see if there is an issue with the cylinders.
So it is oil mix not injected. What other oil?
Should I dump the whole tank of gas 25 gallons?
Check the fuel in the tank for water. Remove the line from the pump or the carbs and drain it into a jar. Then let it sit for a bit. Cehck that there are not two layers in it. If there are, that is water. If not, check the other items.