Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2001 800xl Yamaha won't rev past half way on trailer with hose…

Customer Question
2001 800xl Yamaha won't rev...
2001 800xl Yamaha won't rev past half way on trailer with hose connected. Is there a rev limiter without the proper water going to the engine? Also when I shut it off the plugs are wet and it won't refire without drying plugs off
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 day by:
5/9/2016
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 2 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Hi and thank you for your question.The first answer is simple. No, there is no rev limited tied into water flow per se. However, if you were to lose water flow, it will overheat and then go into reduced RPM's. However, when that happens, you will get an error message with a flashing icon on the multi function gauged.My question for you is: Exactly how many RPM's does it show that it is turning while running on the flush kit?Second, have you had it in the water and had the same results, appx 50% of the rev range?I would suggest doing a compression test first and foremost. It is an easy test and vitally important in the diagnostic process. Let me know what you get for compression.Thanks,RSRBOB
Will get compression test done What would be the range that is acceptable?
Mainly we are looking for consistency front to rear. There are a lot of variables you could encounter such as brands of compression gauges and battery condition and state of charge. Let me know what you get and we can go from there.ThanksRSRBOBOne more question I would like you to answer as well would be the # ***** hours on the ski. Let me know about how many RPMs it is turning now and if it is different on the hose as compared to on the water.