Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My power/trim works on the motor but not on the power handle.

Customer Question

My power/trim works on the motor but not on the power handle. Can I put in a toggle switch in at the power handle?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: My tilt/ trim switch on the power handle does not work, but trim tilt works from the motor switch. Suggestions? Thinking of somehow putting in all toggle switch.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** know the make and model of the control you have?The switch can be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a bombardier but that's all I can find
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Bombardier what?? I don't have a clue of what you are working on? All I know is you have a bad trim switch. The more info you can provide the easier it is for both of us to get your issue resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know. I will try to find out which switch it is and replace it
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a picture of the control and post it? There are hundreds of different controls with out the correct info I can't help. It would be like going into a parts house and telling the parts guy you need a switch for a Ford. He going to ask for make and model. Do you have a model year? Is this top mount, side mount, concealed side mount? All of these are different for disassembly. Here is an example of a side mount outboard remote control. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-accessories/images/59075.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I understand. I think I found a switch that will work that doesn't cost a fortune. If not I'll use the switch on the engine. Thanks.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok your welcome.