Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 1999 Mercury Optimax 200 DFI. I had it winterized

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Mercury Optimax 200 DFI. I had it winterized in Nov and now getting it ready to get back in the water. It crank but won't start. I got a few quick turns but it doesn't start. Can you suggest anything?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.When you turn the key on, do you hear both fuel pumps run for a few seconds?Is your kill switch lanyard inplace?What all have you already checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't hear the fuel pumps. I squeezed the primer bulb and there's pressure. I have the kill switch lanyard engaged. The motor fired a few times but died immediately. It got dark so I have not checked anything else.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
ok, when do you think that you can be at the motor and be in contact with me at the me time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll be at it first thing in the morning. I am in Virginia so it'll be around 8:00-8:30 AM.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is a bit early for me in the CST. What I need for you to do is to remove the top engine cowling. Then locate the VST on the port side of the engine. There is a large round filter on it. Unplug the two wire plug that is going init the front if it, that is the high pressure pump, turn the key on. Do you hear the other pump run? Yes/No. Turn the key off. plug in the high pressure pump. then unplug the low pressure pump at the other end of the VST. Turn the key on again, do you hear the high pressure pump run? Yes/No.. Please let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect. Thanks for that. I will do that procedure and send you the results fist thing. Thx.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Talk to you when I log on in the morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a good evening.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charles. I got the engine started. Turns out one of quick-connects on the fuel pump had gotten disconnected. However, now I have another problem. The oil light goes on after about 1 min of idling and if I increase the revs, I get an audible signal.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Is this light on a 3 or 4 light gauge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 lights. The one that is lit is at the 6 o'clock position...looks like a piston.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Is the oil tank on the engine full?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I checked it and it is up the top. I will check again now.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, while there, unplug it and then start the engine again. See if it goes away.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Verified that it is full.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. Unplug what?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
the sensor for the oil tank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that located under the console or on the engine?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
On the engine. There are two wires coming from the top of the tank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that and the alarm does not sound anymore. The ***** *****ght is still on though. Looks like the gauge I have has Fuel (12 o'clock), oil (3 o'clock), crank/engine (6 oclock) and maybe water (9 o'clock). The one that is lit is the one at 6 oclock.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW, you have sent an email to "*****@******.***" but my address is "*****@******.***".
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The ***** *****ght is the check engine light. There should also be one for the oil. it looks like an oil can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I see it. Everything appears to be running fine now. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thats great. Glad to help. If you are satisfied with the service from me, please select a positive rating for me, this is the only that the site credits me for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll do that with pleasure. That said, I spoke too soon when AU said everything was running fine. I took the boat out and ran for about 45 min between 3-3.5 K rpm with no beeping. As I was coming in, the beeping started again. I cut the motor and restarted and it stopped but did it again about 3 times. To be clear that beep is an overheating signal, correct. Do you have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
A beeping signal is for either the oil tank or water in the fuel most times. It could also be for a sensor out of range. A solid tone from the alarm, is for overheat among other things.