Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I just got my 1979 50hp merc back from the shop, it would not

Customer Question

I just got my 1979 50hp merc back from the shop, it would not go into forward, they fixed it and tested it, when i tried today to test it, it would not go into forward. Is this because i have it on the trailer not n water? I had the muffs on with good water flow.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** shouldn't make any difference. Put the control in gear and spin the prop counter clockwise does it lock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Put the control in reverse and turn the prop clockwise does it lock?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said the fixed a bolt in the linkage, and water tested it
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok remove the shift cable from the engine now shift the engine in to forward then neutral and finally reverse. Does it shift into all gears?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how to do this
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm. Then what would you like from me? We have to do checks to determine what the problem is. Obviously the people that have been working on the problem haven't fixed it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i guess not and nothing
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Are you willing to try and fix the problem. I can try to help you with disconnecting the cable. I will need the engine serial number please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i will take it back tomorrow
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok Melinda.