Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Chrysler LM318BWL15-002: have a marine Chrysler LM318 (1984).....5.2

Customer Question

have a marine Chrysler LM318 (1984).....5.2 liter.....235 hp....engine turns over, but won't start.......no spark at all.....getting current from coil.....replaced coil and distributor cap, (electronic ignition), rotor, and pick-up under dist.cap....also replace ignition module. What's next ......the voltage regulator?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** the rotor turning in the distributor?What is the voltage reading you get at the ignition coil with key on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rotor does turn when engine is turned over............I have power coming from the positive side of the coil, but don't know the voltage reading.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
We need the voltage reading of the voltage going to the positive side of the coil. Try this with a piece of wire jump from a 12 volt source to the positive side of the coil now see if you have spark.What is your voltage reading or do you have spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have no spark when I connect the coil and the battery....
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Which electronic ignition module do you have? Is this Prestolite or other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NAPA brand
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you have voltage going to the module and it isn't producing spark the module is bad. Do you have the wires from the module connected purple to positive side of coil and the black to the negative side of the coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes....purple on positive, exactly like my twin engine
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
How many wires do you have on the ignition coil. If you have more than 2 wires on the negative side disconnect the other wire leaving only the wire going to the distributor. So you should have 2 wires on the positive and one wire on the negative.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a purple wire on the pos. side of the coil and one wire on the neg. side of the coil...
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
You should have 2 purples. One from the key switch and the other to the module in the distributor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look and get back with you.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok can you check the voltage going to the coil also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a voltage meter but it seems to be a weak amount using my simple circuit checker.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
If you have less than 10 volts to the module it wioll not produce spark. Do you have a ballast resistor next to the distributor where the purple wire connects to the ballast resistor then from resistor to the coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a part number for the module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TP-50
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is not the ignition module that is a voltage regulator. The electronic ignition module goes inside the distributor. Here is the electronic module for the distributor. http://inetmarine.com/jms1463-65189replacementmoduleplate-sensorjms1477-1589.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjw0pa5BRCLmoKIx_HTh1wSJABk5F_4v0sFrczbqCT62_Zwau6rH17pB5SMXPpr0rKlAeSdpRoCLBLw_wcB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under the dist. Cap is the pick-up, which has a black wire and a white wire running out of the dist. Doesn't look like the picture you sent me. Also, my purple wire from the coil runs to a ceramic ballast next to the volt. reg.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok we must eliminate the ballast. Connect the 2 wires that connect to the ballast. The part number you sent me is TP-50 a voltage regulator. I ask for the ignition module part number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be V-15208
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
T00520419100GR
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
None of those numbers come up with electronic ignition. Have you bypassed the ballast yet and checked for spark?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
These are the kits they list. http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/search?q=D%3Delectronic+ignition%26Dn%3D0%26Nty%3D1%26Ntk%3DKeyword%26Dp%3D3%26N%3D0%26Dk%3D1%26Ntt%3Delectronic+ignition&isApplication=false&isProduct=true&isInterchange=false&text=electronic ignition&catId=&catIndex=&sc=&page=0&sort=DFLT&pageSize=12
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bypassed ceramic ballast....what does ignition module look like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it a rectangular shaped metal object 4 by 3, with 5 wire holes in it?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No that is the voltage regulator for the charging system. That has nothing to do with ignition.If you pop the distributor cap off and look in the bottom of distributor you will see the module. That is why I ask for a part number. They have many different versions of the module depending on manufacturer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
T810-EB28 or 153103
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the make of your distributor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sierra (black) 18-5352
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That's the distributor cap. You have the Prestolite distributor.Here are the kits they list for you distributor.https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl#q=prestolite+electronic+ignition+conversion+kit&tbm=shop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you thinking that I need to replace my conversion kit?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Have you bypassed the ballast resistor and checked for spark? We need to be sure you are getting the correct voltage to the module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have. No spark.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The only thing we have to verify is the voltage you are getting. If you are sure you are getting 12 volts then the module in the distributor is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this module also called a "pick-up"?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a new part. When I rec'd the part, their was a plate connected to it. I removed the plate and screwed the main part down, just like on my other engine. I made sure the gap was correct. The plate couldn't fit over the cam.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Any modifications will not work. You have the wrong kit if it won't bolt into your distributor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check and get back with yu.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Try this pull the pick up out of the other distributor and install it in this motor.Do you have spark now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spark
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
So with the other pick up it still has no spark?Then you don't have enough voltage or the rotor in the distributor isn't turning. Did you put the pick up in this dist in the other engine?Are you sure the rotor is turning in side the distributor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rotor is turning....the pick-up from the other engine didn't create any spark.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Then you have a voltage issue we must check the voltage at the module purple wire. Did you try the pick up in this engine in the other engine did it produce spark in the other engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took out the module from the starboard engine and put it in the engine that won't start....still no spark.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes I got that but did you put the module from the port engine in the starboard? This will verify if the module is OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will right now....I'm a slow learner.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
OK. No this is just new to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Module starts the starboard engine
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that leaves only one thing low voltage. Now how are you checking for spark? Are you sure it isn't a fuel related issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled a spark plug wire off of one of the plugs in the engine. Inserted another plug into end of wire. Layed wire on metal of the engine. No spark. I see and smell gas in the carb when I manually pull the accelerator.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok that puts us at voltage. When you ran the wire from a 12 volt source to the positive side of the coil. Are you sure it was 12 volts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, my batteries are 12 volt.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Swap the ignition coils.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did yesterday. Still no spark.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I'm out of checks. I have given every test their is.I will opt out maybe someone else has some ideas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Just wanna go fishing.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Lets try one more thing. Pull the coil wire out of the coil and hold it about 1/2 inch from top of the coil crank engine does it spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No start. Going home now. Going to church. Maybe that will help going to Sun. note mass.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok good luck that was my last check I could think of.