Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2004 200xl , w/carbs. Would push the choke couple of

Customer Question

2004 200xl , w/carbs. Would push the choke for a couple of seconds and it would start like an efi motor. All of a sudden it is hard to start. I smell gas and it tries to fire then slowly catches and starts. like it was flooded. When warm it starts like it should. The longer it sits the harder it is to start. 24hrs it's bearable. 48hrs and it gets worry some. I checked the purging unit. removed the hose going to the lower carbs and found no leaks while squeezing the bulb. Today I removed the plugs. spark was a little week looking on all 6 and they were a bit wet. Spun the motor a few times without the plugs. Reinstalled plugs and it fired right up without purge (choke). Is there some kind of one way valve I should be looking for? It is not smokey so I do not think it's the one on the starboard side under the fuel pump that could let oil drain back into the fuel.
Larry
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Larry, my name is***** will assist you.Does the primer bulb for the motor hold pressure or does it lose pressure in a few minutes?Has your engine been sitting?Have you checked the fuel for water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Holds pressure, Runs great all day long. Started at least once a week and used weekend when I can. No water.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Larry, do you have the serial number handy, I would like to get the correct diagrams for your engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mod#(###) ###-####y Ser# *****
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** plug do you have installed in the engine?Is the cranking speed still about 300-350 RPM?Have you ever removed the air box to see if it is spitting fuel back out of the carbs?How about a compression test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The correct ones, sounds normal, yes, Recently at last tuneup. This was not a gradual thing. I came on sudden. I am a little smarter than this.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Can you remove the fuel pump from the left side of the engine, and the hose from the outer center of it, leaving the two hoses attached to the center of it. Squeeze the primer bulb and look for any fuel either from the elbow or the hole in the back of the pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats got to be it. A ruptured diaphram. Will let you know.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will be here until 11PM CST.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not get a chance to remove the fuel pump today. However, I did get a chance to try and start the motor after sitting in a tilted position and it fired right up after a 7 hour rest with out the choke. I will try and purchase a diaphragm kit tomorrow and replace. I see there is also a check valve in the pump, so i will make sure to change it as well.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
There are two diaphragms and 2 check valves. The part number for the kit is(###) ###-####1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea, Already on it.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Takes about 30 min. to do one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bad number. It is 857005a1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got the pump kit done. It cranked right up, though I left in a tilted position over night. no leaks. we will see how it goes later this afternoon. I will let you know.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Was there and torn or stuck parts inside the pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I could see. maybe a bad valve or small hole (tear). I will let you know later this afternoon if worked.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds great. I will be here all day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Held the purge valve open for 5 seconds and it fired up instantly like an EFI motor. Tomorrow will be the real test. I will let you know and hopefully we can end this session.Larry
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thats really good. i am looking forward to hearing about the first start of the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you thinking that fuel was back flowing in to the crank case. It did not seem to affect high speed or power usage where fuel was in demand. Bad valve? Let's hope.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That is my thought yes. A leaking fuel pump would only effect tarting and low steeds, WOT would still be good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Get your thinking cap on, same problem this morning. Acts like it's flooded. Catches one cylinder at a time. Once started runs perfect, idle thru 5500 rps. No misses. Just a strong motor. Ran all day today. Remember in the beginning of our conversation I said it just started one day, not a gradual thing. Just a cold start problem. I still believe fuel is somehow seeping into the cylinders when sitting. Pulled the carb. covers and looked into the throats while pumping the bulb and there is no seepage. What do you think.Where else should I look? Fuel is fresh. Added 20 gals of rec 90 when the problem started last week and had about 80 gals from about 4 months ago with Stabil. The one that counteracts the alcohol.Larry
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a water sep filter in the boat? If so, have you dumped it into a jar?What was changed on the boat or engine just before the problem started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a water sep filter and it was changed in the fall. nothing was changed except a new trailer a couple of weeks ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just does not sound like water in the fuel. I will change it tomorrow to rule it out.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
you can just dump it out. if there is water, then go ahead and replace it. your primer bulb stays firm over night?Where in the country do you live?