Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

One of my 1999 honda 130 hp outboards will reluctantly start

Customer Question

One of my 1999 honda 130 hp outboards will reluctantly start but almost immediately sputter and die
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello Michael, my name is***** will assist youWhat this sounds like if that the carbs on that motor are stopped up. This is normally the case on an engine that has ben sitting for some time, but it can also happen to a unit that was running, but then got some dirty fuel and it passed the fuel filters. You will need to remove all 4 carbs, take them apart and clean them very well with a good quality carb cleaner and compressed air. Replacing the needles and all o-rings as you put them back together. After they are back on the engine, you will need a vacuum synchronizer to get the carbs up properly. After all if this, the engine should run smoothly again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you referring to the injectors?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, yes the fuel pump may not be functioning correctly. Can you test and make sure that the electric fuel pump is actually running when you turn the key to the on position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is, otherwise it would not start at all.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Have the engines been sitting for sometime.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
When was the last time that the engine ran correctly?Have you done a compression test on the engine yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will run just fine for 30 sec. but cant trottle up, just idle,then die
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
When did all this start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ran fine 3 weeks ago. It was running fine for a few minutes, then the problem started. that was a week ago
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Remove the hose from the engine for the fuel line. Use the primer bulb and pump some fuel into a glass jar. Allow it to settle. Is there any water in the fuel, or two layers in the jar?Even on a twin set up, one could get water and the other not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done that, first thing
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
What were the results?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't mean to offend you Charles, but could you please pull off this case and let me try some one else? Thanks, *****
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
I will need the serial number of the engine. What exactly is it doing? What have you checked?Do you have spark or lose spark? Is there water on any spark plugs? Turn the key to on, feel the main relay in the front of the engine, is it getting warm/hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeff, Are you able to read the previous mechs correspondence? The plugs are carboned (soot look) I had some water in the fuel, but took care of that before the problem. How to I find the main relay? Can you recommend any parts from the other motor to change to this motor to try to find the fault? Thanks, ***** *****
I will get you the info you requested tomorrow.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Did upou replace the fuel filter on the bottom side of the engine? Did you drain and check the vapor separator? It is a large silver "container" next to the starter, has a drain on the bottom side. Drain into some paper towels.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeff, Are you able to read the previous mechs correspondence? How to I find the main relay? Can you recommend any parts from the other motor to change to this motor to try to find the fault? Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
What is the engine serial number, Honda changes them by serial number. Yes I can see the other posts.Is there any signs of water on the plugs, yes I know there is soot too. That year range Honda had bad cylinder heads and cracked blocks.Did you drain the VST? If you had water is will accumulate in the bottom of the VST.Lets find the problem before changing parts. Your main relay may be part of the ECU or separate depemding on which engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No water on plugs. Runs to good when it does run to have bad heads or block. Will try to do VST tomorrow and send SN
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the S/N yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, tomorrow for sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the info for both motors and don't know which is which. #1- mod#BF130AXXA-- BZBE1005196-1005920
#2- Mod#BF130AXXA-- BZBE105203-1005926
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
OK do you have any test tools, fuel injection pressure tester? Spark tester? If you don't have a spark tester put a spark plug against the block and have a helper crank the engine, do this for all 4 cylinders, do you have good spark?It would be very helpful to be able to check the fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor will start and run very well for about 10 to 15 seconds or until I try to rev it. If I rev it, it will spit and sputter almost immediately and then die.If I don't rev it, it will act like it runs out of fuel after the 10 seconds.
If it had bad spark,it would not run for that 10 seconds, right? Same with fuel pressure, right?
I will be able to check the vapor separator tomorrow or sat.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Your engine could be running on only 3 cylinders until a load was put on it. We always check the spark to rule out ignition. Same as we always check compression to rule out internal physical damage.In your case there is a good likelihood the fuel delivery system is at fault. The fuel pump initially turns on. This pressurizes the fuel in the lines to the injectors. There will continue to be some pressure for a little while. The injectors only open and close, they don't create pressure. Opening to fire the injectors does not bleed off all the pressure immediately, there is some residual pressure in the system. So it the fuel pump is partially clogged, not running after starting etc. then the engine may start and run for a few seconds but will stall and quit.Trash in the VST is a common problem. The ECU not running the pump when the key is in the run position is another problem. With a fuel pressure test gauge we can monitor the fuel pressure and troubleshoot where the problem it.We can use a voltmeter in the pump connector to monitor the electrical signal to the fuel pump.Can you get a fuel injetion pressure test gauge? Some auto shops will loan the tool.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I will try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeff, Is there a chamber in the vapor separator, that if it has water in it, a sensor tells the motor to shut down?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
No sensor in the VST. But the fuel pump can't pump water, water causes phase separation and gum in the VST if allowed to sit too long.Did you drain the VST, Change the filter next to it and check the fuel pump for operation and pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't had time yet. will do it in the morning. I was on you tube and one of the videos had a motor that had a sensor in the VST that if it detected water it would tell the ECU to shut it down. sounded like my problem. (starting and then dying).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motors are on my 40' houseboat. I need my son to help me pull the boat from it's slip over to the shallow water so we can work on it.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
No sensor in the 1999.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We exchanged the VST and ECU between the 2 motors. Put in new high pressure filters. NO HELP!! The parts work fine on the port motor.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Did you do a fuel pressure test or swap the fuel pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pump is connected to the VST. Going to try switching the injector rail that has the fuel pressure regulator hooked to it.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like a failure, restriction, did you open the VST and check the float?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The VST that is now on the starboard motor is the one that was working from the port motor.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Let me know when you get the rail swapped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the swap an hour ago. Problem solved. I'm sure it is the pressure regulator at the top of the rail. Will get one tomorrow hopefully and then know for sure. Thanks for trying to help. I'll let you know what happens after I get the part.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
OK, keep me posted. Not surprised at being a fuel problem.