Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have twin Verado 250HP 2009 engines. Each has it's own

Customer Question

I have twin Verado 250HP 2009 engines. Each has it's own starting battery bank attached to a onboard charger. One starts no problem. The other shows an error message, "battery"and won't start and the power tilt doesn't work either. Voltage shows 13.5v. What could be the problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.What type and size are the starting batteries in your boat?What is the brand of charger in the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Deep cycle starting batteries installed by Mercury dealer, not certain on the amps. ProMariner ProSport 20 dual bank charger.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe batteries are 65 amps. They have previously started the engines no problem for the last 4 months.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Are the batteries deep cycle or starting, they are two different types?How long have you had the charger?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The batteries are dual purpose and are one month old. The charger was installed when the engines were installed, six months.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Are you near the boat now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great. I have submitted the phone offer as well
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let's stay with the email chat. I'm not convinced $26 worth that you know what you're doing.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok. What I need for you to start with is to disconnect the battery charger from this battery and then try the engine. If it is shorted, that will not allow the engine to fire up. After that you will need a multimeter and an assistant to proceed with the testing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an in line fuse that will have been blown if it was shorted. I checked the fuse and it was ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW the other engine starts fine.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I cannot truly get to the bottom of your no start issue if you are not willing to do these tests that I am recommending. I am a Mercury Outboard Certified Tech and am very qualified to work on your engines. I am not just a guy behind a computer, I am a tech in real life.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to disconnect the charger and I'll get back.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charger disconnected from port battery and engine won't start (didn't when charger was connected); stbd started okay.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.Do you have a multimeter, an assistant and can remove the upper and lower cowlings from the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No assistant, however, I'll have one tomorrow. Give me the instructions and I'll do it then.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok after you get the cowl off, you will see an electrical box. Take the cover off it. There you will see a red post. Connect the red meter lead to it and the black meter lead to the black post near the bottom of it. Set toe meter to a scale greater than 12V DC. Have the helper try and trim the motor while you watch the meter. I am looking to see if the voltage falls off greatly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The helm trim doesn't work, I'll have to use the one on the engine. Back to you later.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. The helm trim will only work after the key is powered up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the key it doesn't work, no power, same reason engine won't start.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to test the voltage at the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I reconnect the charger before testing?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
No, leave it off.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Does the gauge have any other alarms besides Battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temp and oil pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seperate voltage and battery level
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, have you tested the voltage right on the engine when you hit the trim switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes nothing
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
O volts on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think my volt meter is bad, I'm going to Home Depot and get another. I do it again tomorrow.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
You could verify that on the battery itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes and I changed the batteries. it's dead. I'm having my mechanic come over tomorrow and if he can't solve it, I will take you up on the $26 phone call. I'm in Florida and I'm not sure what time he is coming over. Let me know how we can get together.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Did you replace the boat batteries?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked the voltage and found 0, meter was right. Batteries were at full 13.0 voltage. Tracked the problem to the battery cable going to the engine. Bad crimp, but it wasn't visible. The cable just pulled off the terminal end. Replaced the cable and engine started up.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great. I was thinking something with the battery cables. They would carry enough power to activate the gauge but not anything else. Glad that it was a simple fix.