Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Jeff i have a 1993 evinrude 60 hp E60TLETD engine with charging

Customer Question
Hi Jeff i have a...
Hi Jeff i have a 1993 evinrude 60 hp E60TLETD engine with charging issues im a retired auto mechanic and found a few topics on testing stator and rectifiers regulators. I took the rectifier off and checked continuity on the stator's two yellow wires it check good and i see no signs of it over heating. when testing the rectifier i put my fluke meter on diode test and probed with red lead from meter to red lead from rectifier black lead to both yellow lead no readings there is a grey lead and a purple lead also the grey lead is short like the yellow ones so i probed it also nothing there. When i put the meter black lead to red lead on rectifier i get 1.775 on grey lead,the yellow lead when first connected starts at around .157 and goes up finally to.268 on the other yellow one .298 any idea from the readings?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the rectifier number is *****
4/27/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Basically a low reading in one direction and a high reading in the other direction indicates the diode is good. So from your readings the diode is OK. The gray wire is a tachometer lead.What kind of charging problems are you having?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
only showing 12 volts when running on gauge im sure it should be around 13.5 to 14 volts to charge battery
also noticed some surging a low rpm goes away when rpms are higher
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i just had new carpet and seats re done when i got it back there were leads left loose and it's a dual battery set up and found one battery ground was left off after running for a few hours i discovered to ground off and reconnected it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oh by the way it's a pontoon boat if that matters
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i've got to pick up grand kids i'll check back with you latter thanks
Disconnect the stator. Do a resistance reading from the yellow to the yellow/gray. Should be .5 ohms.You should be over 13 volts at 2000 rpm
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
reading was 1.0 ohms on the only two yellow leads coming from stator didn't see any grey on either one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is this the proper way to keep contacting you till wil resolve my issue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello are you not answering me cause i didn't pay the rest yet is that how it works? I thought i paid the rest when we solved my problem. let me know cause i retested the ohm test with a new meter and got 0.5 on the stator so now what?
Hi, I just got in from a day on the water working. Yes this is the proper way to contact me. We do this in our spare time and I try to answer asap.The 1 ohm is a little high but probably OK as resistance varies with the part being measures, the meter and temperature.Have you load tested the batteries?What kind of voltage at rpm?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so while waiting i found some rectifier test
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all passed except the one where you put red lead from meter to body of rectifier and negative leads to the yellow field coils it appears the problem might be the internal ground is shorted. it it had no reading at all. And i retested the field on the stator with my fluke meter and it shows 0.5 on both leads. The only test i didn't do yet was the ac current coming from the yellow leads from the stator with the engine running.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The batteries are new and running current is i little less that battery voltage when switched off 12.7 engine off 12.4
with eninge running
Hmmm I gave another test last night that didn't post. I'll need to check why.Check from the ground to the yellow rectifier leads one at a time, then reverse. You want a reading in one direction but not the other. This is with the rectifier disconnected.Repeat from red rectifier to each yellow wire, results should be the same.If it fails any of these then the rectifier is bad.Your voltage readings indicate a shorted regulator.
Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic