Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

How can I remove pieces of the boat to get to the starter to

Customer Question

How can I remove pieces of the boat to get to the starter to remove the bolts on a 1989 Sea Ray 180 br with a 4.3 mercruiser?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? If you are having a hard time getting to the starter what is doing to give you the best access is if you remove the port side exhaust manifold and riser first. That is going to give you the best access that you can get. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any other questions on the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems like a lot of work to gain access. Are you familiar with this specific boat?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I have worked on them in the past. But I do not have a photographic memory of an 89 sea ray bowrider. Searay does not print manuals for me to reference either. Taking the manifold off isn't a big deal, that's maybe 15 minutes to get it off. It takes about an hour to put it back together. If you can take a couple of pictures of it I can have a look and see if there is a better alternative to pulling the manifold. Can you snap a couple of pictures of what is in your way for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks. Not worth the money to me.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You might just want to pay somebody to do the job for you. It's a bit of a back breaker to be honest. And you do need a special socket to get the starter bolts out, which isn't something a DIY person would typically have. (Not unless you are in the business of pulling mercruiser starters) Good luck with your project