Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Installd new battery in my boat. No power anywhere. Mercrusier…

Customer Question
Installd new battery in...

Installd new battery in my boat. No power anywhere. Mercrusier 4. 3. Dash has a clock with second hand, its not working either, so no power to dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Cant tell if reset on circuit breaker is in or out, but it will not push in. Never had these issues before

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Boat
4/23/2016
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.Could you provide a pic of the battery set up so that I may see it?http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Negative lead has one wired going to the block. Positive goes to starter cylinoide and over to trim package
Is that all of your wires on the battery?
One black. Two red
Ok, you seem to be missing a few. There should be at least one more red and one more black. Those would be for the boat. They are smaller in size and should be hidden around the battery, unless your boat has dual batteries.
Single battery. I have replaced battery before with no issues. I do not see any other wires near battery. Where on the battery would they connect
They would connect directly to the posts. Is there a cut off switch in the boat?
There is a RUN button on the throttle. The switch is in the on position
Master power switch on the dash?
None. If the Run button was off i should still have power to the dash
Yes, but you dont have any power wires for the boat hooked up, The engine does not power the boat, the battery does. Can you feel around the battery and see if you can locate those other wires?
Searched all around the battery. If there are more wires, where do they connect, i can search backwards to the battery
Is this boat new to you by chance?
No, going on 4th season. Its a 2000 Celebrity
Great, which model is the boat?
2000 celebrity millennia edition 180
looking it up
If your standing in the boat looking down at the engine, what side is the battery on?
Left
The red wire that goes to the engine, you said that it goes to the solenoid?Are you sure that the other red goes to the trim pump?
Yes. I just checked again
Will the engine trim or crank?
No
Do you have a multimeter?
Sorry i do not
Please verify that the red cables are on the + post and the black cable is on the - post and that all cables are tight.
They are correct and tight
You just bought this battery?
Yes and its fully charged
Turn the engine key to the on position, does anything happen at all?Are you sure that you cannot post a pic here?
I was wrong on trim, it does work. Ill go turn key and see if anything comes on
ok
Nothing on dash works, no horn, no bielg pump. No radio... Nothing
Did the gauges?
No gauges
Alright, look all around that battery at the loomed wire bundles inside the boat. There has to be at least one set of red and black wires.
Can i continue the help request tomorrow if i cant find the fix tonight?
Yes, I will be here all day. I have also sent you a phone offer to connect directly with me as you work on the boat.
I tried to send a picture but it said file was too large
In that first link I sent you, there is a section where it talks about large files. You can send it to then, reference this question and they will get it to me.
there are two loose black wires near the transom, where do they go?Then that smaller loomed wiring, where does it run to?
Loomed meaning in the plastic bundel? One looks like it goes to throttle. One goes to bottom of boat near drain plug. Hooks to a round small black plastic looking then right next to drain hole. Neither will pull up.
I meant transom whay is that?
What is the transom?the two wires that I referring to drop down right behind the power steering cylinder.
There are no loose wires anywhere
One goes upto i think the throttle. The other goes down to bottom round black thing right next to drain hole on bottom under engine
Ok, there isn't another battery on the other side of the boat is there?
NO
On the post where the red goes to the engine, how many wires are there? and on the other post of the fuse?
Red post 2 wires. One to solenoid the other with fuse to trim. I feel like we are repeating over and over
The only thing done at end of last season was remove connection from battery terminals. Put battery back in and now no power to dash and no engine crank. Brand new fully charged battery. Trim DOES WORK
No I mean down on the engine. Move away from the battery.
Why was I charged $5.00, and then another $21.00. ???
I am guessing that the $26 is the total for your question. that was the fee to post the question and to get it on the boat category. Did you get a chance to look at the solenoid on the starter and see how many total wires are on the large posts on it?
I was asked to pay $5.00. I was never told about additional cost. I want the 21.00 refunded
I can submit your question to customer service. We may be out of touch until you get things cleared up with them.
Please submit request to refund the $21.00. I was never ask or told there was more than the $5.00 fee
I have sent your question off to customer service.