Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Sign in I just bought this boat, used private party.When I

Customer Question
sign in I just bought this...
sign in
I just bought this boat, used private party.When I looked at the boat it started right up, and sounded strong. No oil or other messes in engine compartment. Took it to the lake yesterday. Lanched, took short ride then returned to dock to fuel. Returning to open water,just pass no wake zone,pushed throttle forward.the boat stopped moving. It was like when you loose a transmission in a car. All systems go,but NO GO!! Had to be towed back to the dock. Got it back on the trailer(a small miracle itself) Where do I look? Shifting cables? Didn't lose power at the motor. 0
Sea Ray Sundancer 260
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
4/8/2016
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Is the boat I the water, or out of the water, right now?Do you know if the boat has Alpha or Bravo sterndrives?Were you getting any thrust at all, especially if it was even at low rpms? Or was there no thrust at all?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Jason, this is Debi Jones. The boat is out of the water on its trailer. I'm not sure which sterndrive the boat has. Its a 1983 260 Sea Ray , Sundancer.Single engine,not twinscrew model. We had thrust until it stopped moving. Because we were in a no wake zone, we were going very slow. Everything seemed just fine. Pushed throttle forward and boat stopped moving. We didn't lose the motor,I mean it didn't stall out. It just quit moving the boat. Like when you lose the transmission in a car. Your motor runs but you dont go!
Hi Debi. Did you notice if the engine overheated, or if there was a smell of burning rubber from the engine compartment?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No engine did not overheat and no there was not a smell. We took the cover off under the shifter. there are two cables (wires) that go up to shifter. Moving lever back and forth you could only see movement on the inside cable (or the one on the right)there was no visible on the outside cable(or the one on the left). I would call connect but I think hubby should do that and he is at work right now. He had asked me to try and find something out if I could today.
Do you happen to be near the boat now for a simple test?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its up in our storage where we live. so about 1o minutes away. What do you need me to do?
What I would have you do is first push the shifter lever all the way forward, just like it is when in forward gear. (Do not start the engine). Then, go back to the propeller and grab it, and try it turn it counter clock wise. If your prop has nicks in it or is less than perfect get some leather gloves so you don't accidently get cut. When trying to turn it counter clockwise make note of a few things. 1. See if it will turn counter clockwise at all, no matter how hard you pull it. 2. There is a shaft that goes right through the center of the propeller. If you can move the propeller counter clockwise. Pay special attention and make a note to see if the propeller spins on the shaft (Aka Shaft does not move) Or see if the shaft and propeller both move at the same time. If the propeller or the shaft does end up moving, let me know if it takes a lot of effort to turn the prop, a medium amount of effort, or if it is really easy, and requires no real effort.
Any results?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Jason, well I went to the boat and at first, I thought I was in real trouble. The prop spon like crazy,so I got back inside and moved throttle lever again. This time I heard it click and it felt like it engaged. Tried prop again and this time I was able to move it but it took a little effort. It looked like the shaft and prop were moving together.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
r u still here?
Hi Debi. Sorry for the delay, we all do this on the side, out of our houses. When you last replied last night I was already off to bed. If you can turn the propeller and the shaft is also turning, it sounds like the sterndrive has blown gears. The next two steps are to 1. Drain the gear lube and see if metal chunks, or water comes out. And 2, remove the upper cap on the sterndrive to have a look at the top gears to see if they are chewed up or not. Are those items you think you can do on your own?
Hi Debi. Just checking in. How did you make out?
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic